Saturday, 22 July 2017

First review received

My first review is back already. They do say ask a busy person... and I did!

The reviewer had some good things to say about it, and made some helpful suggestions, but like me, she felt the ending wasn't right.  After our chat I realise that I need to rethink how I kill one of my characters. The reviewer's certainly given me some food for thought.

My problem is that I have found it difficult to stand outside of the story and look at it like a reader. It is very much my baby and I'm naturally protective of it. I did read somewhere that as writers, we should not insist on keeping everything we write in a story, as sometimes it doesn't help the story. I have previously ditched a whole chapter because it wasn't taking the story where I wanted it to go, but now I need to rethink the ending because it's not as strong as the rest of the work.

I will now sit and think about what I can do with the characters to bring it to a stronger close.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment