Saturday, 30 December 2017

The last few days of 2017

As always, it's been a busy time of year at home, getting ready for, and now clearing up after Christmas; leaving little time to research, write or even update my social media.

I gave each of my daughters a paperback copy of 'Orchard View' for Christmas.  I don't know if the eldest has had time to look at her copy. She went home on Boxing Day and had to go to work the next day, so it may be some time before she gets a chance to look at it. The youngest is just over halfway through - just getting to know George Bateman - while the middle one stayed up all Boxing Day night to finish her copy.

They have both spoken to me independently about the story and both agreed that they wanted to know what happened to the Alders after they left Orchard View. They were sad when their story came to an end, and hoped that later in the book there would be and update on how they were doing in their new life.

I found it interesting that both were so heavily invested in Mae and Philip, as originally, I had planned a completely different ending for them. However, whilst writing their story, I became very protective of them and wanted to give them a happy ending, so I created another character for the unhappy ending.

You may have seen that I have been taking part in Melanie Thurlow's #WIPTruthorDare game. It has been very useful for 'filling out' the characters in my next story. It's amazing how a simple idea, query or suggestion can ignite the imagination and produce something creative and entertaining. I will play this game again at some point.

The #DecTheShelves challenge resulted in 25 purchases of books by indie authors. The next challenge will be to find the time to read them all before next December!

And finally with only two days left of this year ... it is time to think about my goals for next year...









No comments:

Post a Comment