Monday, 12 February 2018

Rose by Another Name

Written by Melanie Thurlow


⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Inkling Publishing, LLC (30 Aug. 2017)
Genre Romance, Fiction
Pages 332
ISBN-100999319000
ISBN-13 978-0999319000

The story description for Rose by Another Name, which is set in 1816, begins:

The blurb:


Her worth decided over a game of cards, Lady Rosalyn Hayes has accepted her future. She will marry a duke she doesn’t know to protect her sisters’ reputations. But when a year of preparation for her debut vanishes in the blink of an eye, Rose flees her gilded cage in search of unrestrained adventure.

Fiction    Romance   


My thoughts:

The scene is set for our heroine to go on a bit of an adventure and find romance at the end of it...

This is most definitely my reading genre. I am a big fan of historical romances, having spent many happy hours poring over the novels of Barbara Cartland, and I have to admit that my favourite period is the Regency era.

Lady Rosalyn Hayes, Rose, sets off, dressed in her maid's clothes, to experience a bit of freedom before she is officially betrothed to the Duke of Brighton. She encounters the Duke while he is riding and dressed in his stable hand's clothes. He introduces himself as Robert, and she as Rose. They fall in love, but it is hopeless as each is promised to another...

I could see where this was going and was thoroughly enjoying it. I thought the ending was set up for one last bit of anxiety before the 'happily ever after' moment, and did not expect the twist in the tale. These two are right for each other, and I need the next book in the series to deliver the ending I was waiting for here.

I've only given it 4 stars as there were a couple of things I noticed which should have been picked up in the proofreading stage, and Thurlow is up against the undeniable Queen of Romance in Barbara Cartland in this genre. That said, the plot line is equal to any of Ms Cartland's.

This is Thurlow's first published novel and I would say well worth reading. She has created believable star-crossed lovers and a credible plot. I felt that, at times, the characters raked over their fears a little too much, but this did not detract from my overall enjoyment of the story and I eagerly await the next book in this series.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK



No comments:

Post a Comment