“If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.” Woody Allen
On 31st December, I stupidly set myself some 'achievable' goals. And they should have been, and were achievable... I kept the list short and sweet, and gave myself enough time to complete the tasks...
At the moment, I am at the 'Why do I even bother?' stage. I can almost see God gently shaking his head and smiling as I finished my list, knowing that he had a bag of spanners to throw into the works for me.
So, here's where I am today:
Complete current story ~~ Deadline 31st March to have the first draft ready. All I have managed is a read-through of the first 3 chapters which I wrote before Christmas, to refresh my memory. This has thrown up one or two inconsistencies in the story and I've made a note to rectify those.
Publish ~~ Aim to publish by 30th September. I commented that this might be a difficult deadline to achieve as I am dependent on my pre-readers having the time to read my story. I now remind myself that it helps to have the story written down for them to read!
Read and Review ~~ During the #DecTheShelves challenge I
added 25 books written by indie authors to my reading material. I aim to
read and review on Amazon and Goodreads, all 25 by 31st December 2018. This is going slightly better. So far, I have read and reviewed 9 books (although only 8 were bought during the #DecTheShelves challange) but I haven't picked up a book in over a fortnight. I have started two, but I can't settle down to read either.
Promote myself and my new book ~~ I decided to
increase my social media presence and create my own writing challenge for February. It is now March and I haven't so much as given it a thought. On the plus side, I have retweeted other people's tweets, although I've not managed very many myself.
Attempt to write something in a different genre ~~ I'm blocked. I can't even get the story in my head down on paper, so what chance have I got of writing something out of my comfort zone?
So, what have I been doing with my time you ask? I ask myself the same question. Time marches on and I don't feel that I have achieved anything. There are things that I am obliged to do, and just recently, these things seem to overrun my schedule.
As of last week, I have another project on the go. My DNA results came back and I've spent too many hours going through the immense amount of information and list of possible cousins that this particular test provides. I need to put this down and get back to work!
whoah this weblog is great i really like reading your articles.
ReplyDeleteStay up the great work! You realize, a lot of people
are searching around for this info, you could help them
greatly.