Monday, 30 July 2018

My Top Secret Diary:
'The One With The Wonky Eye Survived!': Bob Shaw's Story Of Survival...

Written by Cathy Shuter


⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Independently Published (31 May 2017)
Genre Autism, Children's Books
Pages 49
ASIN B071J93ZQH
ISBN-101521413770
ISBN-13 978-1521413777

For readers aged 12 - 18 years

Cathy Shuter is a teacher, writer and life coach, whom I have known for several years now. She is also an indie author and has self-published several books. I bought a copy of My Top Secret Diary: 'The One With The Wonky Eye Survived!': Bob Shaw's Story Of Survival... for my daughter who teachers in KS2, to add to her class resources.

The blurb:


'The One With The Wonky Eye Survived.’ My Top Secret Diary. (Written by Bob Shaw with help from Cathy Shuter) Introduction: Allow me to introduce myself… My name is Bob, but kids used to call me ‘Wonky Eye.’ They don’t do that anymore. Would you like to know why?

Autism    Children's Books   


My thoughts:

This book is designed to help Year 6 children on the autistic spectrum prepare for their move to secondary education, in particular, those going on to a special school.

The story is presented in the form of a diary kept by Bob, a 10-year old boy diagnosed with Asperger's. Bob tells us about his struggle in mainstream school and that he has just found out that he is going to a special school in September. Initially, he is delighted to hear this news, but he soon starts to question why his best friend isn't going with him to the same school. Transition is a difficult time for a lot of children, but especially so for those who do not react well to change.

Bob introduces us to the professionals who support him, and some of the ideas which help him to cope with the impending changes. Bob also talks about how his mum copes and what he does to help her understand how he is feeling at this time.

There's a helpful 'Jargon Buster' section at the back of the book as well as 'Hints for Teachers' and some web links for further research.

My Top Secret Diary: 'The One With The Wonky Eye Survived!': Bob Shaw's Story Of Survival... is written in simplistic terms for primary-aged children, to help them better understand how they are feeling and offers suggestions for ways to cope with the upcoming changes, but it could also be a useful aid for parents and carers.

Additionally, Shuter is donating 10% of the royalties from this book and "Oh Ollie!" to the Wanderer's Haven Animal Sanctuary, a cause close to her heart.



Purchase from:

Amazon UK    Amazon US   



Author Bio – Cathy Shuter
Hi, I'm Cathy and I am a writer and life coach. I have been writing ever since I was little, but my first book was published in 2015.

It is called, '100 Free Ways To Happier Days!'

My books help people set small, achievable goals so that they can live happier lives.

I truly believe that we are all put on Earth to follow our dreams and to help make the world a better place for everyone.

After having my first book published, I well and truly caught the writing bug.

I write for people of all ages. Some books are works of fiction and most have a personal development theme.

I live in a caravan in Kent, UK and love nothing better than being outdoors surrounded by nature. Ideas are starting to swim about in my head for my next book!

Other stories I've read by Cathy Shuter





No comments:

Post a Comment