Written by Stephanie Weaver⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
|
My thanks to Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources for the invitation to join this book birthday blitz, and to the author, Stephanie Weaver, who provided me with a paperback copy of this book to review.
There is a success story following my review - a short interview with Christine G from New Jersey, who has been using the Migraine Relief Plan, and who, at the time of writing this blog post, has not had an attack since December 2017.
Readers might also like to take part in the raffle at the bottom of this post to win a paperback copy of this book. The raffle is open to US and UK residents only, and if you're a US resident, your copy will be signed!
The blurb:
The Migraine Relief Plan:An 8-Week Transition to Better Eating, Fewer Headaches, and Optimal Health
In The Migraine Relief Plan, certified health and wellness coach Stephanie Weaver outlines a new, step-by-step lifestyle approach to reducing migraine frequency and severity.
Using the latest research, her own migraine diagnosis, and extensive testing, Weaver has designed an accessible plan to help those living with migraine, headaches, or Meniere’s disease. Over the course of eight weeks, the plan gradually transitions readers into a healthier lifestyle, including key behaviors such as regular sleep, trigger-free eating, gentle exercise, and relaxation techniques. The book also collects resources—shopping lists, meal plans, symptom tracking charts, and kitchen-tested recipes for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner—to provide readers with the tools they need to be successful.
The Migraine Relief Plan encourages readers to eat within the guidelines while still helping them follow personal dietary choices, like vegan or Paleo, and navigate challenges, such as parties, work, and travel. A must-have resource for anyone who lives with head pain, this book will inspire you to rethink your attitude toward health and wellness.
Then it hit me! How many times I have tried to 'diet' but still had easy access to all the things I should not eat? And what happens when the diet change is sudden and all-encompassing? Well, the simple answer is that I give up, and go back to the foods I know and enjoy. The answer, therefore, is to introduce changes slowly, and to remove temptation.
Whilst I do not suffer from migraines, there are other health issues that I need to consider when making family meals, and once I had thought about it, the first three weeks of The Plan provided sensible advice. Each week the reader is asked to clean out a food storage area, check its contents, and get rid of certain foods which might be a trigger for migraines. There is no rush to change your diet in these early weeks. It's more about learning what you should and should not have in your store cupboards.
I found Ms Weaver's personal experience interesting to read. She saw two doctors who gave conflicting advice, and two different diet sheets, because one of them was still using an outdated diet sheet. Only from her own investigations could she work out what she could and could not eat, and as such, her book serves as a useful guide. Although this book is written with migraine sufferers in mind, I think the advice offered could help anyone who needs to rethink their diet for whatever reason.
The recipe section contains lots of interesting meals, but perhaps not all would be something I would want to make for myself or my family. However, I found the food list summary much more useful, as armed with that, I can adjust my own recipes to make meals which are familiar to us as a family, but without the migraine-triggering ingredients.
The plan isn't all about diet. It also considers sleep and exercise as part of the regime to better manage migraines, and in Month 7 there is advice on how to go about testing yourself for foods which might be bring on a migraine.
Ms Weaver's advice is clear and easy to understand. Overall, I thought this book was well-researched and reasoned, and would be a useful tool for anyone trying to better manage their migraines.
Christine, what were your migraines like before you got this book?
I had vestibular migraine causing severe vertigo attacks that lasted 4 hours and were completely debilitating. I didn’t have headaches with my attacks.
How did you find The Migraine Relief Plan, and what attracted you to try it?
My doctor recommended the Vestibular Disorders Association to me and the list of restricted food items for migraines. I joined the organization and found the book there. I needed some help with my diet as the list of food triggers included many foods I was eating every day and I was in total despair.
What kind of improvement have you seen in your migraine frequency or severity?
I started medication and the book at the same time. I also joined the book’s Facebook group that’s chaired by Stephanie Weaver the author. I have not had an attack since February 2018. I am slowly adding foods back in, as I am "gun shy" about adding foods back in and really am sticking to the Plan. The Facebook support group and Stephanie have been wonderful through this journey. I was very sick, took a leave of absence from work, and I am sure I would not have survived had I not found this book or the group and recovered as well as I have.
What would you like other people to know if they are considering buying the book?
Buy it, it is worth every penny you invest, and read it. It will change your life with migraines. The people who use the Plan and are in the Facebook support group are helpful too. Stephanie is there to help always and responds so quickly and kindly. I have not met her but feel like she is a friend! I have told so many people about this book who have any form of migraine. The form of migraine I experience is quite different from regular migraine sufferers and it truly has helped. Go to the online recipes, they are great too!
| Author Bio – Stephanie Weaver |
|---|
Stephanie Weaver, MPH, CWHC, is an author, blogger, and certified wellness and health coach. Her recipes have been featured in Cosmopolitan, Bon Appetit, Cooking Light, Parade, and more. She lives in San Diego, CA. |
| Social Media Links – | |
| https://www.instagram.com/sweavermph/ | |
| Facebook Author Page | https://www.facebook.com/stephanieweavermph |
| X | https://twitter.com/SWeaverMPH |
(Open to residents of the US and UK only)
*Terms and Conditions - This giveaway is limited to US and UK residents only. Please enter using the Rafflecopter box below. The winner will be selected at random via Rafflecopter from all valid entries and will be notified by Twitter and/or email. If no response is received within 7 days then I reserve the right to select an alternative winner. Open to all entrants aged 18 or over. Any personal data given as part of the competition entry is used for this purpose only and will not be shared with third parties, with the exception of the winners’ information. This will be passed to the giveaway organiser and used only for fulfilment of the prize, after which time I will delete the data. I am not responsible for despatch or delivery of the prize.
a Rafflecopter giveaway




No comments:
Post a Comment