Written by Laura Briggs⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
|
My thanks once again to author Laura Briggs, and Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources for the invitation to join this blog tour, and a free digital copy of A Little Hotel in Cornwall for my review.
And to whet your appetite for this delightful read, you'll find a short extract after my review, which I'm sure you'll enjoy.
And to whet your appetite for this delightful read, you'll find a short extract after my review, which I'm sure you'll enjoy.
The blurb:
Struggling American waitress and aspiring novelist Maisie Clark dreams of becoming a full-time writer — even though in real life she's just lost her chance at an exclusive writer's mentorship program that would give her novel its big break. Desperate, she decides to take a chance and ask her favourite writer, a celebrated but reclusive English novelist, to help her find a second chance.
When she receives the author's reply in an envelope with a Cornish postmark, Maisie decides not to take the writer's half-hearted 'no' for an answer. With nothing to lose, she takes off for the author's last known location, a beautiful hotel on Cornwall's western coast. But when the hotel mistakes her for the latest applicant for a maid's position, Maisie finds herself given an opportunity too good to lose ... and a chance for a summer adventure far bigger than she ever imagined.
Surrounded by breathtaking Cornwall and working in an elegant hotel, Maisie's world becomes one of secret identities, quirky friends, and unintentional mishaps — and despite reminders of past relationship disasters, a certain handsome, charming local resident Sidney Daniels has her conflicted about her heart's desires, too.
Will Maisie find the chance she's been waiting for — and a possible new romance — in her perfect Cornish summer?
chick lit
Romance
My thoughts:
Having enjoyed Brigg's series A Wedding in Cornwall, I was delighted to be given the opportunity to read an advanced copy of her new book, published today, which is the first in a new series.A Little Hotel in Cornwall is written in the first person from the point of view of Maisie Clark, an American student and part-time waitress. Maisie wants to be a novelist, and when she finds she does not have a published author to mentor her for a prestigious writing programme, she writes to her favourite novelist Alistair Davies, asking him to mentor her.
She receives a reply on hotel note paper, declining her request. Undeterred, she travels to the Penmarrow Hotel in Cornwall in hopes of finding Alistair Davies, and persuading him to mentor her.
Here, she is mistaken for someone else, and ends up living and working under an assumed name. While this solves some immediate problems by providing her with lodgings and an income, it can only complicate matters further along the line. Especially as there appears to be a new love interest on the horizon... and a former boyfriend staying in the hotel!
We are gently introduced to the characters, who all seem charming and likeable at the minute; even Riley and Gomez who appear quite roguish when we first meet them. Also the stern Mr Trelawney shows he has a softer side when he talks to Maisie about her continued employment.
A Little Hotel in Cornwall is a short story which sets the scene for future instalments. The story ends with Maisie making decisions for her future, which will obviously be the basis for the next in the series.
I found this to be a quick easy read and look forward to reading the next one in this series.
Enjoy this short extract from A Little Hotel in Cornwall
Thank you so much to Deborah for this opportunity to share an extract from my novella A Little Hotel in Cornwall with her readers today. The heroine Maisie is an aspiring author who finds herself working at a luxury Cornish hotel as part of her quest to track down her favorite novelist—a reclusive English writer she desperately needs some advice from if her writing career is going to have its best shot.
I reached the front desk, where Brigette was booking a tour on the hotel's computer.
"You're late," she said.
"I am?" I checked the time on a nearby clock with surprise. "But it's only now ten."
"The staff always arrives fifteen minutes early," said Brigette. "Really, I don't know how you do things in the States if everybody only shows up on time."
"So, what am I supposed to do today?" I couldn't help my eye creeping towards the open register on the desk. Lots of guest signatures ... and all those little information blocks labeled for contact after departure....
"First things first. The dining room must be readied for lunch, then we begin tidying rooms after the departing guests check out ... six today, I think .... Oh, and there's a suit to be collected for Mr. Grammery from the village at four ..." She followed the little color-coded lines matched to squares on her chart.
"Miss O' Brien," said another voice. "I need you to spare someone to me this morning."
The person addressing the concierge was a man, and at the sound of his voice, Brigette immediately forgot her schedule and snapped to attention. A strong, stout, imposing figure was surveying us; a man with graying hair combed smoothly over a shiny, thinning crown, immaculately dressed in a suit with a salmon pocket square and perfectly-shined shoes. He reminded me a little of Nero Wolfe the great fictional detective — right down to the air of quiet intimidation he instantly commanded.
"For the ball? Of course." Brigette drew herself up straighter with this reply. "Yes, Mr. Trelawney. Of course. Anyone you need."
This was the manager of the hotel, then. I glanced at him, suddenly feeling shy and a tiny bit nervous.
"This is the new maid," he said. "Miss Kinnan. Am I correct?"
"Yes," I said. "Yes, but ... call me Maisie. Please."
"Maisie?" repeated Brigette. "But Mrs. Charles wrote 'Marjorie' on the sheet. I have it here —"
"It's a nickname," I said. "Maisie. Marjorie. Same thing, really."
"Well. Miss Maisie Kinnan — if you would be so kind as to take notes for me." He indicated a pen and pad on the desk. I seized them, trying not to feel as if he was going to fire me any second now for my mistakes thus far.
Molly and another maid, one with shiny black hair, were setting the tables for lunch. Molly worked furiously at lining up silverware while the manager was passing by, but gave me a little wave as soon as he wouldn't notice it. I waved back — then was afraid that from the corner of his eye, Mr. Trelawney noticed me, so I assumed a more dignified attitude afterwards.
"Did Brigette say this was for the ball, sir?" I asked. It seemed unnatural not to talk at all, so I attempted a little question. "The one with the Jazz Age theme?"
"Indeed." He unlocked a set of double doors I remembered from my tour of this place, and opened them. Inside was a grand space with gilded moldings, pale peach-pink walls with a gently-flocked wallpaper, and chandeliers dripping with crystal prisms. The marble floor had streaks that resembled wispy pink and amber clouds at sunset, while the surrounding trim of antique floor tiles depicted green leaves, roses, and lots of curly vines. Only a few pieces of furniture decorated it, including a sky blue brocade love seat and some carved cherry dining chairs pushed against one wall — and a baby grand piano.
"A real ballroom," I said. "Just like in novels. Amazing." I lost a little of my dignified attitude at this point, but managed not to do anything silly, like laugh with astonishment.
"It suited the Randhouser Charitable Foundation's idea of one," answered Mr. Trelawney, dryly.
"The Randhouser Foundation?" I repeated.
"Have you heard of them?"
"Of course," I said. I couldn't believe it. The international philanthropy group sponsored dozens of causes, including literary programs and writers' grants — among them, the grant money paid to the amateur writer chosen by the Ink and Inspiration committee. "I had no idea they hosted balls."
"It's a fundraising gala to sponsor a new scholarship for aspiring Cornish writers. The Golding Fellowship," said Mr. Trelawney. It must be in honor of William Golding, I assumed, a Cornish author whose works I remembered from my English literature classes.
Imagine it — a roomful of literary enthusiasts who sponsored new talent and aspiring writers. Ink and Inspiration recipients among them, maybe. Could I let an opportunity like this one pass me by in my quest?
| Author Bio – Laura Briggs |
|---|
Laura Briggs is the author of several chick lit and romance stories, including the Top 100 Amazon UK seller 'A Wedding in Cornwall'. She has a fondness for vintage style dresses (especially ones with polka dots), and reads everything from Jane Austen to modern day mysteries. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with family, caring for her pets, going to movies and plays, and trying new restaurants. |
| Social Media Links – | |
| Facebook Author Page | Author Laura Briggs |
| X | @PaperDollWrites |



No comments:
Post a Comment