Wednesday, 15 January 2020

Alive

Logo for my #DecTheShelves 2019 challenge book purchases

Written by T J Blake


⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Independently Published
Genre Dark Fantasy Horror
Pages 33
ASIN B01GZ86SU6





The blurb:

Book Cover for the short story 'Alive' by T J Blake

Alive

For nearly a year now I have been living a lie.

My husband and two daughters believe that I am dead.

No one can know our secret.


Short Story    Dark Fantasy Horror   


My thoughts:

I was buying books for #DecTheShelves 2019, and picked up Alive because it is a short story in a genre I don't usually read.

The blurb is concise and enticing, and the cover suggests the story will make my flesh crawl. A strong start!

The premise is interesting - Sarah is almost drowned following a road traffic accident. She remembers being pulled from the water and revived. This experience has changed her and she decides to fake her death so that she can help others.

I found this to be a quick and easy read, but would not call it a compelling story. I was not convinced by Sarah as a character or her decision-making processes, and the writing style could have been tighter to ramp up the drama. However, the twist at the end surprised me, and probably would have had even greater impact in a longer story.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU




No comments:

Post a Comment