Written by Jenny O'Brien🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟
|
Interview With the Author.
I won a paperback copy of Jenny O'Brien's Missing in Wales in a blog tour raffle last August. It has since been republished as Silent Cry. And having thoroughly enjoyed this story, I am delighted to see the next book in the DC Darin series, Darkest Night, will be available from 17th July.
The blurb:
Missing in WalesAlys is fine - don’t try to find us
Izzy Grant is haunted by the abduction of her newborn daughter five-years ago. When a postcard arrives from her missing partner, the man she believes is responsible, saying they’re fine and asking her not to try to find them, she knows she can’t give up hoping.
Then she sees a face from her past. Grace Madden. Just where did she disappear to all those years ago? And is there a connection between her disappearance and that of her child?
DC Gabriella Darin, recently transferred from Swansea, is brash, bolshie and dedicated. Something doesn’t fit with the case and she's determined to find out just what happened all those years ago.
I hadn't previously come across Jenny O'Brien, but having read the blurb and several reviews from a promotional blog tour for Missing in Wales, I put this book on my wish list, and also entered the accompanying raffle, not really expecting to win.
Well, I was delighted when a paperback copy arrived in the post, but due to other commitments, I've only just now been able to read and enjoy it. And what a compelling read it is! I read it in two days. Towards the end of the second day, my eyes were so tired that I was barely able to see the text on the page, but I refused to give in, and read the last 60 pages with the help of a magnifying glass. I was so invested in the story that I would not have been able to sleep without knowing how it would end. But it was worth it!
The story begins with a peek into the past. Five years ago, Izzy Grant gives birth to a beautiful baby girl who she names Alys Megan Grant. Alys is only a week old, and Izzy’s partner, Charlie Dawson, is taking Alys out for the first time so that Izzy can get some rest. He puts the baby in the car seat in Izzy’s mini and drives away. He’ll only be an hour…
Hours later when he doesn’t return, Izzy is frantic with worry and pushing aside the feeling that she is a paranoid new mother, calls the police.
Back in the present day, Izzy is shopping and spots an old friend amongst the shoppers, Grace Madden. Grace dropped their friendship around the same time as Charlie and Alys disappeared, and Izzy hasn't seen or heard from her since. Grace appears to have seen Izzy and jumps in a taxi to avoid her. By chance, the lead detective in Izzy's case, DI Rhys Walker, is in the same shop, and when he says hello to Izzy, she tells him about seeing Grace.
A new lead sees the case reopened, and Izzy does some detective work on her own. Will her nosing around bring her answers, or put her life in danger? Will the police finally be able to find Charlie and Alys and reunite Izzy with her child?
Oh my goodness! This story! I was hooked from page one! What a page-turner! I like to think I can guess the plot as I'm reading, but there were twists and turns and red herrings that had me wrong-footed right to the end.
I've added this to my 6 star reads, such is its impact on me. Missing in Wales has been republished as Silent Cry with more back story for DC Gaby Darin, who I did feel sat in the background in this story. However, that did not detract from the brilliance of the story and its telling.
I've put Darkest Night (Book 2 in the DC Gaby Darin series) on my wish list, and I haven't decided yet, which Jenny O'Brien novel I'll be putting forward at my book club meeting next month.
|
Missing in Wales is now republished as Silent Cry |
The blurb:
Silent CryPublisher: HQ Digital (17 April 2020)
A MISSING BABY. A MOTHER’S NIGHTMARE.
When Izzy Grant’s newborn daughter Alys disappears, her world shatters around her. Despite an extensive search the police find no trace of the missing girl, but Izzy refuses to give up hope that her daughter will be found.
Then a note is pushed through her letterbox,
warning her off.
For Izzy it’s a ray of hope, another lead for the police to follow. For DC Gaby Darin it’s another piece of the puzzle that just won’t fit. But as a long-lost friend returns to Izzy’s life with a shocking secret, Gaby realises the truth of who took Izzy’s daughter from her might lie in the past – and far closer to home than anyone could have imagined…
| Author Bio – Jenny O'Brien |
|---|
|
Born in Dublin, Jenny O'Brien moved to Wales and then Guernsey, where she tries to find time to write in between working as a nurse and ferrying around 3 teenagers. In her spare time she can be found frowning at her wonky cakes and even wonkier breads. You'll be pleased to note she won't be entering Bake-Off. She's also an all-year-round sea swimmer. Readers can find out more about Jenny and her books on her blog: (jennyobrienwriter.wordpress) and she can also be found on Twitter and Instagram as 'scribblerjb'. Facebook (Jenny O'Brien Guernsey Writer) |
| Social Media Links – | |
| Web site | https://jennyobrienwriter.wordpress.com/ |
| https://www.instagram.com/scribblerjb/ | |
| Goodreads | Jenny O'Brien |
| Facebook Author Page | https://www.facebook.com/JennyOBrienWriter/ |
| X | https://twitter.com/scribblerjb |
Thank you, Jenny, for taking the time to answer a few questions for us today. We wish you well with your current projects, and I personally can't wait to read Darkest Night.
Thanks for inviting me, Deborah.
Q1. What inspired you to write Silent Cry and is this part of a series?
Silent Cry is part of a series but the original story idea came from a dream I had in early 2018.
Q2. Who is your favourite character in Silent Cry and why?
I’d have to say Izzy Grant because of her strength despite the horrendous difficulties she has to face following the disappearance of her baby, which is after all every parent’s worst nightmare.
Q3. Was this the first story you had published?
No. I wrote my first book, Boy Brainy, many years ago. It’s a story aimed at children and based on my personal experiences of bullying as I was growing up. I self-published it a few years ago and it seems to have found a niche with young readers.
Q4. Do you have another story planned or in progress and when can we expect to see that?
The follow-up to Silent Cry is called Darkest Night and is currently available for pre-order at all book outlets. There is a third in the series, which is undergoing editing and I’m halfway through a fourth.
Q5 Who is your favourite author?
I really can’t answer that. For a start I’d feel disloyal at having to pick one of the many books I’ve enjoyed over the years. I’m a prolific reader. Last year my tally was 170 over on the GoodReads challenge, which will give you some idea as to my book addiction.
Q6. What do you like to do when you’re not planning or writing your next book?
I don’t have much spare time as I’m also a nurse. But I do like to sea swim all year round.
Q7. Do you have a specific routine for writing? Is there a special place you like to write or a particular tool you use?
No, not really. I’m not lucky enough to have an office or even a desk. I work off my lap in which ever room is free of teenagers: I’m currently lounging on the sofa typing this and a teenager has just walked in! I do try and write a few words first thing in the morning from six until a quarter past before I head off to work but apart from that I have to squeeze my writing in around all the other things that take up my time.
Q8. What advice do you have for indie authors?
Perseverance. It took me years to get noticed. Also always save a back up copy of your work. A rookie mistake that many writers, including me, still make.
q9. If Silent Cry were to be made into an Audiobook, who would you choose to read it?
I’m lucky enough not to have to make that decision. The very talented Janine Cooper-Marshall has already done an amazing job of Silent Cry.



No comments:
Post a Comment