Written by Sudesna Ghosh
Truely charming
|
| Published by | Independently Published |
| Genre | Romantic Comedy |
| Pages | 74 |
| ASIN | B07XHNQMRY |
I downloaded a free promotional copy of this romantic novella last December during in the #DecTheShelves challenge and read it during the #20BooksOfSummer20 Reading Challenge hosted by Cathy @746books.com.
The blurb:
Koel is almost 40 years old and too old to be married - according to Indian society.She's happy living like a nun until she meets Ranbir Ray.
Significantly older than her, can Ranbir teach Koel about life, love and happiness in this heartwarming, fun romance?
People who know her are keen for her to find love and put men in her path, hoping something will come of it. When the book seller asks her to help Ranbir find some books for his nephew, the older man ignites her interest in romance. What happens next is delightfully told in this charming novella.
Told in the first person from Koel's perspective, Past Marriageable Age is a humorous and well-written story. I loved the insight into the Indian culture - The idea that there comes a time when a woman is too old to marry, and on reaching forty, the matchmakers will cease trying to find her a husband. There is also a point where she is too old to wear dresses, and should wear saris instead.
Ghosh's characters are likeable and relatable, and despite concerns about their age difference, I could feel that these two could work as a couple.
Truly a charming novella with a happy ending, and the message that you are never too old to fall in love!
I would like to thank you Sue, for taking the time to answer a few questions for us here today. We wish you continued success in your writing career and with your rescue cats.
Q1. What inspired you to write Past Marriageable Age?
All of my heroines are in their 30s, single and not dying to get married like society thinks they should. In other words, they're all like me. I read a lot of romance and women's fiction and often find myself having trouble relating to women who are in their 20s, actively looking for romance and wishing for children. That is a big reason that I write the heroines that I write. Some women are open to the idea of falling in love but not obsessed with finding someone. Some women don't want to have children. Some women are happy being immersed in their careers. Every woman can't be expected to follow the same path.
All single women are not on the lookout for love or romance. Past Marriageable Age is a story that tells you that love and romance can happen any time and at any age if you want it.
In Past Marriageable Age, I also decided to make the male character older than my usual 30 something when it hit me that romance shouldn't be restricted to a certain age group. I know men and women who have found love in their 40s and I think there should be more stories about them.
Q2. Who is your favourite character in Past Marriageable Age and why?
I love my protagonist Koel. She's independent, she's a bookworm, and she likes to sit in coffee shops. That's the perfect introvert life.
Q3. Was this the first story you had published?
My first stories were published in children's magazines across India. After that, I published two nonfiction books with a major publisher. Soon after that, I chose to take the self publishing route and wrote some more for kids before trying my hand at romance. My first attempt at a romance novella was called My Singapore Fling, published in 2017.
Q4. Who is your favourite author?
Thanks to Twitter, I have discovered and read so many wonderful authors sitting in my home in India. Sarah Morgan, Sue Moorcroft, Mandy Baggot, Devika Fernando and Adite Banerjie are some favourites. I read ALL their books.
Q5. Which writers have influenced you?
Well, I started my writing career with short stories for kids, so I would say my childhood favourites influences me. They include Beverly Cleary, Beatrix Potter and Ann M. Martin. And now, all my favourite romance authors including Devika Fernando, Sarah Morgan, Sue Moorcroft, Adite Banerjie teach me something about writing with every book of theirs I read.
Q6. What do you like to do when you're not planning or writing your next novel?
My rescue cats keep me busy. I am a full time writer and a full time cat mom (meowmy). I do my best to keep them happy and also take care of the stray cats in my neighborhood. When I'm not writing or planning my writing in my head, I am usually reading on my Kindle with a cat or two or more stuck to me. Oh, or I'm occupied with cat photos on Instagram and hoping my own cats don't get jealous and disown me.
Q7. What do you like most about being an author?
I love it that we have no rules! I think writing is an art and every author has his/her own style. Storytelling is fun. You never know where your characters will take you.
Q8. Do you have a specific routine for writing? Is there a special place or particular tool you use?
I used to write in coffee shops on quiet weekday afternoons until the virus fear existed. Now, I write on my bed with my cats playing mewse (muse). I never purchased special software for my writing so I use Microsoft Word. I like writing with silence around me and with all household chores done. The night is perfect for that.
Q9. If your book were to be made into a movie, who would you like to play Koel and Ranbir?
I would like my hero to be Farhan Akhtar and my heroine would be Sushmita Sen.
Q10. What advice would you give other independently published authors?
Don't expect to be known and rich with one book. Build your author platform as early as you can. On social media platforms, let prospective readers get to know who you are - that goes beyond your books. And publish books at a steady pace to keep the readers hooked and the royalties coming in.
Q11. Tell us a bit about your new book released this month.
My new romance novella is called Mita's Dilemma. It's about a newly single woman who is trying to figure out what she wants. She's in no hurry and wondering if no strings attached sex is better than a relationship again, when a cat comes into the picture and forces her to make a decision about the different choices in her life.
| Author Bio – Sudesna Ghosh |
|---|
|
Sudesna (Sue) Ghosh is an Indian-American author based in Kolkata, India. She is a graduate of University of Rochester and an animal lover. When she isn't busy reading or writing, she tries to keep her rescue cats happy. |
| Social Media Links – | |
| Web site | https://sueghosh.wordpress.com/ |
| @sudesna_meow | |
| Goodreads | Sudesna Ghosh |
| Facebook Author Page | Sue Ghosh Writer |
| X | @sudesna_ghosh |



No comments:
Post a Comment