Wednesday, 12 August 2020

Meet Me In London

banner indicating this book is a romantic comedy

Written by Georgia Toffolo


⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Mills & Boon (15 Oct. 2020)
Genre Women's Humorous Fiction, Romantic Comedy
Pages 320
ASIN B0875QY836
ISBN-100008375852
ISBN-13978-0008375850
Audiobook ASIN     B088RLBS3S

Firstly, I should like to thank author Georgia Toffolo, her publisher, Mills and Boon, and Netgalley for providing me with a free Advanced Readers' Copy of Meet Me In London for my review.

I read Meet Me In London during the #20BooksOfSummer20 Reading Challenge hosted by Cathy @746books.com.

The blurb:

Meet Me In London

Aspiring clothes designer Victoria Scott spends her days working in a bar in Chelsea, and her evenings designing vintage clothes, dreaming of one day opening her own boutique. But these aspirations are under threat from the new department store opening at the end of her road. She needs a Christmas miracle, but one is not forthcoming.

Oliver Russell’s Christmas is not looking very festive right now. His family’s new London department store opening is behind schedule, and on top of that his interfering, if well meaning, mother is pressing him to introduce his girlfriend to her. A girlfriend who does not exist. He needs a diversion. Something to keep his mother from interfering while he focuses on the business.

When Oliver meets Victoria, he offers a proposition: pretend to be his girlfriend at the opening of his store and he will provide an opportunity for Victoria to showcase her designs. But what starts as a business arrangement soon becomes something more tempting, as the fake relationship starts to feel very real. But when secrets in Victoria’s past are exposed will Oliver walk away, or will they both follow their hearts and find what neither knew they were looking for…


Women's Humorous Fiction    Romantic Comedy   


My thoughts:

After reading a couple of thrillers, I was looking for something lighter when I decided to read Meet Me In London. It's a romantic comedy, a first novel from Georgia Toffolo of Made in Chelsea and I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here fame, and rather good I thought.

The story is about Victoria, a bar manager who aspires to be a full-time fashion designer. Victoria also teaches a small group of underprivileged students in her flat above the bar she manages. The students are ready to exhibit their work, but they haven't found a venue yet.

Carrying home a large box of fabrics and accessories for her students, she literally bumps into Oliver, the son and heir to the Russell & Co department chain. After they dust themselves down, Oliver realises they can be of help to each other. Victoria needs a venue to showcase her students work, and he needs a fake fiancee to present to his parents at the new store opening.

Naturally, there are secrets and problems to overcome, and the biggest one as far as Victoria is concerned, has seen her previous boyfriend, Peter, end their relationship. Victoria fears Oliver will walk away just as Peter did, so closes herself off to the possibility of a real relationship with Oliver. Can they overcome their respective fears or is Victoria's secret determined to keep them apart?

I loved the main characters Victoria and Oliver. They felt very real and genuinely nice people. I couldn't help but want them to realise their love for each other and find happiness together. I didn't like Andrew, Oliver's cousin, whose jealousy of Oliver made him quite unpalatable. Nor did I like Peter. I think Victoria had a very lucky escape there!

As a debut novel, I thought it was of a good standard. The writing style is easy to read and I found Meet Me In London to be an uplifting story. I enjoyed this story and would recommend it to readers who enjoy a bit of chick-lit.



Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU



No comments:

Post a Comment