Written by Tom Turner⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
|
The blurb:
Nick Janzek is a Boston cop with a dark, tragic past. Dark because of his father's ties with Whitey Bulger. Tragic because of what happened to his wife.But now he’s starting over in Charleston. No brutal winters. No bullying despot of a boss. No staring down at stiffs on the mean streets of Beantown.
As he drives into Charleston behind the wheel of a U-Haul, taking in the sweet smells of Confederate Jasmine and gardenias, he gets a call. And before he can even unpack, he’s got a murder on his hands. A murder that could change the entire face of Charleston.
This is a story I thought I would not finish. I began reading in March 2021 and got to about 24% read. I can't remember now why I stopped reading, but I do remember that I was struggling to get into the story.
Fast forward to December 2024 and I resolved to read all the books on my 2019 #DecTheShelves list. Naturally it took me a while to get to Killing Time in Charleston and as soon as I saw it I debated whether to mark it DNF and move on, or revisit it and hope for a better outcome.
Well, I'm glad I did revisit it. I started from the beginning with a heavy heart and around the same point, I was again debating giving up. However, not long after that the plot took off and I was hooked.
I did not take to the writing style and that is probably what made me give up the first time. I am, however, very glad I finished it and would definitely read more by this author.

No comments:
Post a Comment