Written by Melanie Hudson⭐ ⭐
|
I logged on to my email recently to find an invitation from the publisher to read and review Melanie Hudson's latest novel,
The Night Train to Berlin.
I had so enjoyed The Last Letter From Juliet that I immediately accepted.
And now I should like to thank all concerned in providing me with a free digital copy to read and review.
The Night Train to Berlin.
I had so enjoyed The Last Letter From Juliet that I immediately accepted.
And now I should like to thank all concerned in providing me with a free digital copy to read and review.
The blurb:
The Night Train to BerlinThe most heartbreaking historical fiction novel you will read this year from the USA Today bestseller!
Two lost souls brought together by the chaos of war.
A train journey into the past.
A love that echoes through time.
Paddington Station, present day
A young woman boards the sleeper train to Cornwall with only a beautiful emerald silk evening dress and an old, well-read diary full of sketches. Ellie Nightingale is a shy violinist who plays like her heart is broken. But when she meets fellow passenger Joe she feels like she has been given that rarest of gifts…a second chance.Paddington Station, 1944
Beneath the shadow of the war which rages across Europe, Alex and Eliza meet by chance. She is a gutsy painter desperate to get to the frontline as a war artist and he is a wounded RAF pilot now commissioned as a war correspondent. With time slipping away they make only one promise: to meet in Berlin when this is all over. But this is a time when promises are hard to keep, and hope is all you can hold in your heart.From a hidden Cornish cove to the blood-soaked beaches of Normandy in June 1944, this is an epic love story like no other. Perfect for fans of Pam Jenoff, Kate Quinn, Rachel Hore and Kate Furnivall.
Historical Fiction
Women's Fiction
My thoughts:
As I said earlier, I've previously read a novel by Hudson that I absolutely adored, and so I had high hopes for this story too. Sadly, I was quickly disappointed when I found I was not enjoying it as much as I'd expected. The blurb ticks all the boxes: WWII, dual time line, romance, coastal location... I was wrong-footed by the title. I thought the action would be aboard and around the night train heading for Berlin. Instead, for the greater part, it was a night train heading to Cornwall.I felt the pace was too slow at the begining, and that's probably a lot to do with why I struggled to get into it. When the pace did quicken, I wasn't sufficiently invested in any of the characters or their stories to become totally absorbed in the story.
I managed to finish the book, but felt the ending was rushed. It left me without any satisfactory answers to my questions about the characters - how the two couples were linked and their stories were concluded.


No comments:
Post a Comment