Written by Tessa Buckley
| ||||||||||||||
Haunted is the latest publication by children's author Tessa Buckley, and is currently on a Blog Tour organised by Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources.
Today I am delighted to welcome Tessa to my blog and bring you a short extract of this exciting children's adventure story.
Today I am delighted to welcome Tessa to my blog and bring you a short extract of this exciting children's adventure story.
The blurb:
HauntedAlex doesn’t believe in ghosts, but he is about to have his beliefs challenged…
When Jimmy Devlin asks the twins to investigate the strange things that have been happening at The Priory, Alex seizes the opportunity to prove to his sister that there is no such thing as ghosts. However, it soon becomes clear that unquiet spirits are not the only problem facing the Devlin family.
Are the family servants hiding secrets? Has a valuable ring been stolen, or just mislaid? And what has happened to Jimmy’s missing elder brother, Harry? As the twins and Jimmy try to solve the many mysteries of The Priory, they discover they are dealing with a very dangerous enemy…
Children's Action & Adventure
A short extract from Haunted
by Tessa Buckley
Alex and Donna are helping their friend Jimmy Devlin investigate possible supernatural activity at his home, The Priory. During a barbecue hosted by Jimmy’s parents, the twins, Jimmy and their friend Emerald seize the opportunity to get into the cellar.
Jimmy hurried over to the cellar door, and tried the handle. He did a thumbs-up. “He left the door unlocked! I knew he would. Come on!” He pulled the door open, switched the light on, and disappeared down the steps. The rest of us followed close behind. I went last, and kicked the door stop into place before pulling the door almost shut behind us.
This time the chill hit me the minute I reached the bottom of the steps. I heard Emerald draw in her breath sharply as she felt it too. Her eyes widened, and she clutched Donna’s arm. “He’s here!”
Before anyone else had a chance to speak, things started happening. An old tin can that was lying on its side against the wall started rolling across the floor, as if it was being pushed by an invisible force. There was a big thud, as if someone had dropped something heavy on the stone floor. Then came the sound of a child crying. It was quite soft at first, but it seemed to get gradually louder, until the sound was echoing off the stone walls.
At first I was so startled, I couldn’t move. After a moment, though, I remembered why we were there. I reached for my mobile and fumbled around, trying to turn on the EMF app. The reading appeared on the screen, then immediately disappeared as the phone went dead. Then, just like before, the light went out.
The room was now pitch black, and the sound of the child crying seemed to be coming from every direction. Suddenly Donna cried out, “Look! Over there!” and I saw a tiny ball of light hovering a few feet above the ground. As the ball of light started to move around the room, the crying began to grow fainter.
I was so mesmerised by the sight of the glowing ball that I lost all sense of time. How long was it there? A few seconds? A few minutes? Then, as suddenly as it had appeared, the ball of light vanished and the crying faded away completely.
In the sudden silence, I felt the darkness wrap itself around me like a dense blanket. The cold air seemed to penetrate every part of my body and I started to shiver uncontrollably. “Let’s get out of here!” Jimmy said, but before any of us could make our way out of the cellar, the room was once more flooded with light. I turned round and looked upwards. Standing at the top of the stairs, staring down at us with his strange hooded eyes, was the butler.
| Author Bio – Tessa Buckley |
|---|
|
Tessa Buckley was an inveterate scribbler as a child, and spent much of her time writing and illustrating stories. After studying Interior Design, she spent fifteen years working for architects and designers. She took up writing again after her young daughter complained that she couldn’t find enough adventure stories to read. This led, in 2016, to the publication of Eye Spy, the first in a series of detective stories for 9-12 year olds, designed to encourage reluctant readers. The second book in the series, Haunted, was a finalist in the Wishing Shelf Book Awards 2017. Tessa lives with her husband and a large white cat called Pippa. in a town on the Thames estuary, which inspired the seaside setting for the novels. She also writes about health and nutrition, and family history, which has been her passion for many years. |
| Social Media Links – | |
| Facebook Author Page | Tessa Buckley Author |



No comments:
Post a Comment