Wednesday, 29 September 2021

100 Ways in 100 Days to Teach Your Baby Maths

Blog tour banner showing tour date 29th September 2021

Written by Emma L Smith


Highly
Reccommended
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Matador (28 Sept. 2021)
Genre Baby Development, Maths, Non-Fiction
Pages 240
ASIN B09D7VYGP1
ISBN-101800464495
ISBN-139781800464490

As usual, I will begin by thanking Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources for the invitation to join the blog tour for 100 Ways in 100 Days to Teach Your Baby Maths, and the author, Emma L Smith ACA FIA, for a free digital copy to review.

I chose to read this book because I have young and enquiring grandchildren who will benefit from the introduction of a little maths into their fun-packed days.

Book Cover for the baby development book 100 Ways in 100 Days to Teach Your Baby Maths

The blurb:

100 Ways in 100 Days to Teach Your Baby Maths

100 Ways in 100 Days to Teach Your Baby Maths: The world is full of maths, and your baby is full of curiosity.

Let your baby lead the way as you explore the wonderful world of maths together through 100 daily activities, stories, and songs.

No flashcards, no worksheets, no right or wrong, and no maths anxiety.

Within this 100-day maths journey, you will discover:

* Maths ability on entry to school is a strong predictor of later achievement, double that of literacy skills.

* Babies seem to be born with an amazing number sense.

* Parents have the power to show their babies that maths is enjoyable and not something to be anxious about.

* Babies can enjoy maths activities while boosting other areas of development.

* The best time to start enjoying maths is in infancy.

What about the effect of gender, culture, sleep, diet—even the type of pushchair you buy? 100 Ways in 100 Days to Teach Your Baby Maths holds the answers.


“…use this book. It really will be worth it.”
- Tony Attwood, founder, The Dyscalculia Centre


“I loved reading this book. The approach is imaginative but also tied to everyday life, making the holistic integration of a maths-friendly parenting style something natural rather than forced.”
- www.thebookbag.co.uk


“The simple and well-researched activities and advice ensure that everyone can give their children the best start in life.”
- National Numeracy

Baby Development    Maths    Non-Fiction


My thoughts:

I will start by saying that 100 Ways in 100 Days to Teach Your Baby Maths is not difficult to read and digest. I read it over a couple of days, but I wonder if the idea is to take longer and concentrate on each day's learning and activities.

I found that some of the fun activities suggested were ones I am already doing with my grandchildren, but I wasn’t actually thinking about how they related to the teaching of maths. I had tended to think of maths in terms of numbers and shapes but had completely overlooked the wider vocabulary of maths; terms such as “up”, “down”, ”left” and “right” being key words in maths as well as in English, had completely escaped me.

I would most definitely recommend this book to anyone, and especially those with responsibility for small children. Even if you thought you were hopeless at maths at school, you will find that understanding how to introduce your little ones to maths through nursery rhymes and play will likely make a big difference to how he or she engages with maths in the years to come.

Reading this book has made me more aware of the language used in maths, and now I am increasing my grandchildren’s exposure to some of the key words and thinking about fun ways to introduce more.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU    Amazon IN


W H Smith     Barnes & Noble      Waterstones





Author Bio – Emma L Smith
Headshot of author Emma L Smith

Emma Smith is a Fellow of The Institute of Actuaries and a Chartered Accountant.

She is a double academic prize winner with a First Class Maths degree and a lifelong lover of maths.

She has worked freelance as an actuarial exam counsellor, an assistant examiner, and a writer.

Her front-cover articles include “Your Baby is a Genius!” in Baby London Magazine.

While writing, Emma is ably assisted by her dog, Button, her daughter’s cat, Princess Marshmallow, and her son’s cat, Squeezy Paws.


Other books I've read by Emma L Smith






1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your lovely review. I really appreciate you taking time to read my book and I'm so glad you've found it a positive experience. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete