Saturday, 13 November 2021

Can a Fat Girl Get a First Kiss?

Written by Sudesna Ghosh


⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Independently Published
Genre Teen & YA Feelings
Pages 96
ASIN B01N4VLQ5H

Going back to my TBR list, I decided to read another of Sudensa Ghosh's short stories as the previous ones I've read have been gentle, easy-to-read, and uplifting stories.

The blurb:

Pamela is fat.

From longing for a Valentine to dealing with a slim sibling who hates her, Pamela has a lot to deal with.

A first person narrative of a teen who lives and struggles with negative body image.

Living in a fat body isn't easy.

It isn't easy being the fat girl at school.


Short Stories    Feelings    Fiction


My thoughts:

Can a Fat Girl Get a First Kiss? (previously called Just me, the Sink & the Pot) is a story about a young girl called Pamela who is now looking forward to her future, but tells us she had a difficult time growing up because of her weight. Pamela tells us about all the spiteful things her class mates have said and done to her over the years, how she was afraid to eat in front of other people, how she longed for friends, and how even her own sister, Mona, thought Pamela was beneath contempt because of her weight.

I was expecting another amusing and uplifting story told in Ms Ghosh's gentle style, but found myself empathising with Pamela, and feeling rather angry on her behalf at the way others thought it was acceptable to treat her, in the way that they were, just because she was fat.

I really enjoyed this short story, although I felt Pamela's sister's behaviour at the end, was unexpected and a little contrived, designed to bring the story to a satisfactory close.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK    Amazon US    Amazon CA    Amazon AU    Amazon IN





Author Bio – Sudesna Ghosh

Sudesna (Sue) Ghosh is an Indian-American author based in Kolkata, India.

She is a graduate of University of Rochester and an animal lover.

When she isn't busy reading or writing, she tries to keep her rescue cats happy.


Other stories I've read by Sudesna Ghosh






No comments:

Post a Comment