Wednesday, 30 March 2022

Library Books:
The Grinny Granny Donkey
Peppa at the Aquarium
Not Yet, Zebra


So this week my granddaughter and I returned the books we'd taken out the other week, and found three more to borrow. She is not yet tall enough to operate the scanner, but was pleased enough to watch it do its work.

Her ticket is actually valid to borrow thirty books, but I think three is more than enough at her age.


The Grinny Granny Donkey

Written by Craig Smith


⭐⭐


Published by Scholastic; 1st edition (5 Nov 2020)
Genre Children's Rhyming Books
Pages 24
ISBN-10 0702304271
ISBN-13 978-0702304279

For children aged 3 - 6 years

The blurb:


The Grinny Granny Donkey is the third picture book from Craig Smith and Katz Cowley, the bestselling creative team behind the phenomenal bestseller, The Wonky Donkey!

Meet Grinny Granny - the latest addition to the beloved Donkey family. And just like Wonky Donkey and Dinky Donkey, she is silly and funny all at once.

With a wonderful rhyming text and illustrations full of humour, The Grinny Granny Donkey will make you hee haw with laughter!

  1. A brilliantly funny story by Craig Smith and beautiful illustrations by Katz Cowley will guarantee that The Grinny Granny Donkey will become your new favourite picture book
  2. The perfect gift
  3. The award-winning Donkey books bring families together with love, laughter and fun


My thoughts:

Having read The Wonkey Donkey and thoroughly enjoyed the video of the Scottish Granny cracking up reading it, I fully expected another tongue-twistingly, rip-roaringly good read with my granddaughter. Unfortunately I wasn't as impressed with this book, which I found difficult to read.

I thought it was due to my own preferences that I didn't enjoy this book, but I later overheard my son-in-law decline to read it to her for the same reason.


Peppa at the Aquarium


Written by Neville Astley
A Ladybird Book

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Published by Ladybird (11 Jun 2020)
Genre Children's Books
Pages 10
ISBN-10 0241411793
ISBN-13 978-0241411797

For children aged 2 - 6 years


The blurb:


Peppa's goldfish Goldie is sad, so Peppa takes him to the Aquarium to look for a new friend!

It's an exciting day out for Peppa and her family, with lots of fantastic fish and sea creatures to discover! Miss Rabbit is your guide for this brilliant adventure to find out about things that live under the water.

What secrets will Peppa and her family find in the Aquarium?



My thoughts:

I am not a fan of Peppa Pig in any shape or form, but my granddaughter loves Peppa and all of her friends.

Peppa at the Aquarium is a lift-the-flap board book which proved to be a big hit. My granddaughter loved listening to the story and after a couple of read-throughs knew exactly what she would find under each flap. I'm giving it 5 stars because she enjoyed it so much.




Not Yet, Zebra


Written by Lou Kuenzler & Julia Woolf

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Published by Faber & Faber (1 Feb 2018)
Genre Children's Books
Pages 32
ISBN-13 9780571329762
ASIN 0571329764

For children aged 2 - 6 years

The blurb:


Annie said to the animals, "Please stand in a line.
I'm painting my alphabet. Come one at a time!
First Aardvark and Bear and Crocodile too.

Not yet, Zebra. I'm not ready for you . . ."

Annie wants to paint an alphabet using her animals, but Zebra simply can't wait until the end for his time to shine. Sneakiness, silly costumes and plain pushiness doesn't get him anywhere - but he has to learn to wait his turn!


My thoughts:

Not Yet, Zebra proved to be another hit. It's an alphabet book with a lesson about waiting to take your turn. My granddaughter loved the animal pictures and the rhyming verse.


No comments:

Post a Comment