Monday, 29 July 2024

Cage of Bones
Detective Alana Mack: Book 3

Book cover for the novel Cage of Bones by Jenny Obrien

Written by Jenny O'Brien


Highly
Recommended
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Storm Publishing (16 Aug. 2024)
Genre Police Procedurals
Pages 318
ASIN B0CV7R86GG
ISBN-101805083953
ISBN-13978-1805083955

I was delighted to see that Jenny O'Brien, whose Detective Gaby Darin series I have so enjoyed, has a new book coming out in August. I was further delighted to receive an advance copy to review. My thanks as always to Ms O'Brien, her publisher
Storm Publishing and Netgalley for providing me with a free digital copy to read and review.

Cage of Bones is Book 3 in the Detective Alana Mack series, so naturally, as I have not yet read the first two books, I will start at the end and work backwards!

Book cover for the novel Cage of Bones by Jenny Obrien

The blurb:

Cage of Bones

Human bones in a crab pot. A family's dark secrets. A killer's twisted revenge.

When human remains are found in a fisherman's crab pot, Detective Alana Mack faces her toughest case yet. As she unravels a complex web of genetic links, Alana becomes the target of a seemingly random attack, leaving her injured and reliant on her ex-husband for help.

Determined to solve the case, Alana discovers a chilling connection between the victim and Ciara Buckley, the sole survive of a house fire who shares DNA with the unidentified woman. But Ciara believes both her parents died in the blaze that scarred her childhood.

When the fisherman's estranged brother is found dead, Alana uncovers a startling truth – both were adopted, and their mother vanished decades ago. As she decodes cryptic forensic clues, Alana races to stop the killer from erasing more family secrets. Can she catch the culprit before becoming the next victim?


Police Procedurals     crime thriller


My thoughts:

Cage of Bones is the third book in a series of three, and while I'm sure much can be gained by reading them in the correct order, the fact that I hadn't read the previous two books did not detract from my enjoyment of this absorbing crime-thriller.

The Story: When Barney Mulcahy pulls his crab pots on board his fishing boat, he is shocked to find not crabs but human bones. Detective Alana Mack and her team are tasked with identifying the remains and the killer in this fast-paced police procedural.

Whilst investigating this case, Detective Mack is made aware of another case in Kerry, this time a disappearance, but with a link to Barney Mulcahy.

As the story continues there are more murders which can be linked to the initial case. Also, Detective Mack is mugged outside her home and loses her phone. Later, when she is assaulted by the same shadowy figure, she wonders whether someone is trying to stop her from getting to the truth.

I was quickly hooked and questioning the whys and wherefores of each murder as they arose, trying to solve the crimes. I did manage to identify the murderer, although I was not convinced by the motive, about which I had my own ideas.

I was also interested in Detective Mack’s team of detectives who worked well together. However, I wondered about Detective Sergeant Barry's unilateral decision to add Detective Eve Rohan, AKA ‘The Nun’, to Mack’s team as Rohan did not seem like a good fit for the team and came across as a rather ‘difficult’ individual.

A lot of research has gone into the production of this well-written novel which enhanced my enjoyment of the story. I was particularly interested in the Bonaparte genealogy programme, the DNA matching software, used by Interpol.

All in all, I would say that this is another enthralling and thought-provoking read from Ms O'Brien, and one which I would not hesitate to recommend.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU     Amazon IN





Author Bio – Jenny O'Brien
publicity shot of author Jenny OBrien

Born in Dublin, Jenny O'Brien moved to Wales and then Guernsey, where she tries to find time to write in between working as a nurse and ferrying around 3 teenagers.

In her spare time she can be found frowning at her wonky cakes and even wonkier breads. You'll be pleased to note she won't be entering Bake-Off. She's also an all-year-round sea swimmer.

Readers can find out more about Jenny and her books on her blog:

(jennyobrienwriter.wordpress) and she can also be found on

Twitter and Instagram as 'scribblerjb'.

Facebook (Jenny O'Brien Guernsey Writer)

Books in series reading order, although each is stand-alone:-

    THRILLERS

   Silent Cry (Gaby Darin Book One)

   Darkest Night ( Gaby Darin Book Two)

   Fallen Angel (Gaby Darin Book Three)

   Lost Souls (Gaby Darin Book Four)

   Buried Lies (Gaby Darin Book Five)

   The Stepsister



Other stories I've read by Jenny O'Brien






No comments:

Post a Comment