Friday, 23 August 2024

A Deadly Affair
Book 5 in The Hopgood Hall Murder Mysteries series

Blog tour header for the novel A Deadly Affair by E V Hunter tour dates 18th to 24th August 2024

Written by E V Hunter


⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Boldwood Books (31 July 2024)
Genre Cozy Mystery
Pages 256
ASIN B0CRTYKS8R
ISBN-101835613292
ISBN-13978-1835613290

Today I am taking part in the blog tour organised by Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources for E V Hunter's latest publication, A Deadly Affair. This is Book 5 in The Hopgood Hall Murder Mysteries and, as so often happens, the first I've read in this series and by this author.
Full tour banner showing particiating bloggers and tour daets 18th to 24th August 2024

Book cover for A Deadly Affair by E V Hunter

The blurb:

A Deadly Affair

A local gossip is about to get her just desserts!

Life at Hopgood Hall is never boring, but Alexi Ellis hopes that there will be no more murders for the time being – she’s solved four already and is getting a reputation in the local area for being bad luck.

So when local gossip Polly Pearson arrives at Hopgood hall, Alexi knows this can only mean bad news. Polly has made it clear that she dislikes Alexi, and has campaigned for her to leave Hopgood Hall forever – so what could Polly want?

Then Polly reveals that her partner, Gerry has been found murdered in her B&B and that she is the main suspect! Alexi, her partner Jack and Cosmo the cat are all left speechless. More so when Polly begs Alexi for help improving her innocence.

But Alexi isn’t sure she wants to help this spiteful gossip. Is she really innocent or as deadly as the police believe her to be?


Cozy Mystery   


My thoughts:

I was compelled to read A Deadly Affair because I found the blurb and the title curiously interesting, but it was the book cover that really reeled me in. The cover announced that everything I enjoy in a cozy mystery was contained within these pages. And I was not disappointed.

As this is Book 5 in The Hopgood Hall Murder Mysteries, I was delighted to find that all the salient background details needed to better understand this story are given in the first chapter and that this story can be read as a standalone.

I love a cozy mystery, following the twists and turns in the plot as it drip-feeds information that will eventually reveal the culprit. Of course, I love nothing better than identifying the villain of the piece before the sleuth exposes them.

However, A Deadly Affair had me foxed. I did not guess who killed Gerry Dawlish, although I had plenty of suspects to consider. This one certainly kept me on my toes.

I liked Cosmo the cat who accompanied former police Inspector turned private detective Jack Maddox and his journalist partner Alexi Ellis on their mission to find Gerry's killer. I smiled at the idea of the hissing cat preventing a gang of kids from stealing Jack's car and was amused that Cosmo could distinguish between a good person and a bad one just by sniffing them - qualities I attribute to a dog rather than a cat.

A Deadly Affair is an entertaining read that kept me guessing right to the reveal.



Purchase from:

https://mybook.to/deadlyaffairsocial

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU    





Author Bio – E V Hunter
Head shot of autyhor E V Hunter

E.V. Hunter has written a great many successful regency romances as Wendy Soliman and revenge thrillers as Evie Hunter.

She is now redirecting her talents to produce cosy murder mysteries.

For the past twenty years she has lived the life of a nomad, roaming the world on interesting forms of transport, but has now settled back in the UK.


Other stories I've read by E V Hunter






No comments:

Post a Comment