Written by Stephanie Dagg
An entertaining
|
| Published by | Independently Published 7 Dec 2025 |
| Genre | Contemporary Short Stories |
| Pages | 39 |
| ASIN | B0G5KM27Q6 |
I love the Twelve Wordplays of Christmas series by Stephanie Dagg. The stories are short, sweet, to the point and appeal to my sense of humour greatly. I bought my copy in December 2025 and completely forgot about it!
It was only adding more purchases to my Goodreads shelves that the online seller showed me a list of books I'd purchased but hadn't reviewed that made me rethink my 20 Books of Summer reading list!
The blurb:
Five Old Flings'You are invited to attend the funeral of Dominic Ignatius McCoy on Friday 29 December at St Mabel's Crematorium, Guildtown, at 11a.m., and afterwards to a meeting and finger buffet at the offices of Woodville-Leyton, Kensington-Harris and Snodkins, where you will learn something to your advantage.'
Ethel Porter, a widow of 77, is sure she's never heard of this Dominic chap. But free food is hard to resist, and it's not every day advantageous tidings come your way. So, on the fifth day of Christmas, she attends the funeral, where she encounters four other ladies around her own age who have all received the same, mystifying summons.
But who is the mysterious Dominic? Why are they all beneficiaries of his will? And, most importantly of all, what exactly has he left them?
Our five ladies have an exciting day in store.
I love the Twelve Wordplays of Christmas series and look forward to the next story as soon as I've finished the last one!
Book #5 in this series, Five Old Flings is set during the Christmas holiday season but is not actually a Christmas story. It concerns the attendance at a funeral for a man, about whom our protagonist, Ethel, and four other similarly unacquainted ladies know nothing, followed by the reading of his will at a rather impressive solicitor's office.
I enjoyed this short story. It was quick and easy to settle into and told with Ms Dagg's usual characteristic style and witt. I guessed the outcome of the will reading, but was still hughly delighted when my theory proved correct!
I thoroughly enjoyed this story and look forward to the next one in this interestingly titled series.


No comments:
Post a Comment