Written by Jenny O'BrienI loved it! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
| ||||||||||||||
I've had this ebook in my TBR pile since November 2019. I downloaded a free copy through Amazon and that's as far as I got until I found it earlier this year whilst looking for quick reads for the 20 Books of Summer Reading Challenge.
Whilst I've read a number of Jenny O'Brien's police procedural and historical novels, this is my first foray into her children's stories.
I begin by belatedly thanking the author, Ms O'Brien, for a free digital copy of Boy Brainy to read and review.
The blurb:
Boy BrainyDai Monday is being bullied, but what does he expect with a name like Die! He doesn't think life can get any worse and then it does. What's hidden in Conwy Castle that has all the crooks in a frenzy and where does the ghost of King Arthur come into it all?
'Dai Monday's Boy Brainy is aimed at children age 7 to 11 years (middle graders). There's ghosts and dragons (obviously), magic and mayhem - in fact all of the elements of an exciting story that finds a little boy with Aspergers, chasing around Conwy Castle in the search of King Arthur's Crown, a crown that actually existed! Yep, go figure!
For parents, guardians and teachers
This book comes with additional reading notes and questions on the story to encourage discussions on bullying. These can be found at www.daimonday.wordpress.com
Boy Brainy is written in the first person from the perspective of Dai Monday, a ten-year-old boy with Asperger's syndrome. Writing from this point of view gave me insight into Dai's thinking processes, understanding of his humour, focus and reasoning which brought Dai's character alive for me.
Boy Brainy is a children's adventure story where the main character and his best friend meet the ghost of King Arthur in Conwy Castle. They learn that King Arthur is looking for his crown and decide to help him find it and restore it to the rightful heir. They have to outwit a criminal duo and solve a centuries-old puzzle to learn where the crown is hidden. The subplot involves dealing with bullies in a school setting but is well handled within this story.
It is humorous and well written. It may be aimed at seven year olds, but this much older reader really enjoyed it so much so that I've just bought a digital copy of Granny's Gone AWOL in Guernsey (Dai Monday #2) primarily for myself. I've also managed to source some used paperbacks copies of Boy Brainy for my grandchildren who I'm sure will be as delighted and entertained as I was!
Purchase from:
Boy Brainy is not currently available in either paperback or digial format but used copies occasionally appear on reseller sites. If that changes I will update this blog post.
| Author Bio – Jenny O’Brien |
|---|
|
Jenny O’Brien writes complex thrillers and heartbreaking historical fiction, as well as intriguing romances. Silent Cry, initially self published, topped the Amazon kindle chart in both the UK and the USA. Most of her books have followed suit. Jenny has over 40 years experience as a qualified nurse. She turned to creative writing as a hobby when her children were born. Now, 20 years later, she's retired from the day job to focus on writing. She's currently working on the third book in the Threads Series. Born in Ireland, she now lives in Guernsey with her husband and children. |
| Social Media Links – | |
| Web site | https://www.jennyobrienauthor.com/ |
| @scribblerjb | |
| Goodreads | Jenny O'Brien |
| Facebook Author Page | Jenny O'Brien Writer |
| X | @ScribblerJB |
| Bluesky | @scribblerjb.bsky.social |



No comments:
Post a Comment