Cathy has published several books herself, and I wanted her to sign a couple of copies of "Oh Ollie", which I bought to give as Christmas presents this year - yes I am organised! I also wanted to know about her experience of writing and publishing and told her that I was also writing. Within a few minutes, Cathy had me believing in myself, motivated me to get on with my novel and consider self-publishing.
She also kindly offered to help me by reviewing my work and show me how to set up an account to self-publish; which reminds me, I must send her a link to read the story so far.
My daughter has, to date, not had time to read it, but I am hopeful that she will be able to soon, as she has a week's holiday coming up and usually tears through a couple of books while she is away.
Another source of encouragement: In conversation with a cousin recently, I learned that he enjoys writing short stories and he gave me one of his to read. It was really very good and I asked him to read my story and critique it. I saw him yesterday and was delighted that he had made time to read it. He said he thought the story line was good, and encouraged me to carry on with it. He talked me through the plot of his latest story, as far as he has got, but says he has now hit a brick wall. I told him that I had my plot mapped out but I am being influenced by people and things around me as to how I write my story. As an example, a conversation about my parents' wedding led to a description of the bridesmaids' attire. The hats, I was told, were 'Dutch caps'. That caused a bit of hilarity and it was confirmed that that was also the name of a contraceptive device. The phrase opened up a train of thought which helped me write a particular character and bring her to her untimely end. JC, something or someone will provide the inspiration you need to break down that brick wall.
And Finally...
This morning, despite my broadband doing the Hokey Cokey, I have set up an account with CreateSpace - which was as easy as Cathy said it would be - in readiness for when I finish my novel. Now to crack on and finish it...
No comments:
Post a Comment