Friday, 15 September 2017

Should have done a bit more research!

Well, that's it! I've published. The e-book is available already and I'm waiting on the paperback now. Of course I now find that there is another 'Deborah Miles'. I promise I did some research before I set up my accounts with CreateSpace and KDP. I searched Google and Amazon for 'Deborah Miles' and while I found links to various social media, a singer, an actress and a designer, I didn't see anything for an author.

It turns out that 'Deborah Miles' is a pseudonym for Kaye Bennett, an Australian author, who also writes as Lilly Sommers, Sara Bennett and Kaye Dobbie. She has published 6 books as 'Deborah Miles' and 28 in total.

Just checked Amazon and my book and e-book are both now available, so I've contacted member support to see if it's too late to amend the author name on my work so it doesn't look like I'm trying to ride her coattails.

I've done a bit more research and discovered that it is possible for two writers to use the same name and apparently you can't be sued for using your own name! It helps if the two authors are writing in different literary genres. Luckily, she writes historical romances and Orchard View is definitely not a romance!

2 comments:

  1. Well Debs, your comments about researching your own name certainly made me laugh - how dare she choose your name? Can't wait to read your book x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind that we share the name! I realise lots of us are not happy with our given names, but 'Deborah' is not a name I would necessarily choose as an author of romantic fiction. I'd go with something softer on the tongue like Lily, Sarah, Claire or Rose.

    ReplyDelete