Tuesday, 31 October 2017

Another learning experience!

The DHL courier has just tried to deliver a parcel containing copies of my book printed by CreateSpace in the US. Somehow this parcel has attracted VAT which DHL have kindly paid on my behalf and then added a fee for doing so. I am now required to pay £17.00 before DHL will give me the parcel.

The courier told me that people usually pay this and then claim it back from Amazon...

Not quite correct. I did some research and contacted HMRC on their web chat facility. It took me only 5 minutes to connect with an adviser who quickly dealt with my query.


Books are regarded as printed matter and are zero-rated. A full definition is found on the HMRC website.

I need to pay the £17.00 to DHL to get the parcel, and then claim that amount back from HMRC.

There is a form - BOR286 - Customs Duty and/or import VAT relating to imports by post - to complete and return to HMRC and that is Downloadable from their website.

It all sounds very straightforward...


No comments:

Post a Comment