I had no idea how many steps I took getting out of bed, coming downstairs, and making breakfast for 4 people. It's over 300 steps... except today when the app only registered 24 steps. I synced it a couple of times, and it still said 24 steps. I stomped about a bit and did some running on the spot expecting the Fitbit to register some activity, but it didn't.
It was only when I touched my wrist that I discovered I wasn't wearing it. I retraced my steps to the bedroom and found it has dropped off, probably when I was opening the bedroom curtains this morning.
So that's 300-500 steps I will have to do again today!
Apart from being buzzed all day, and having no idea what the various buzzes actually mean, I'm enjoying checking the app regularly, originally because I was amazed at how much 'exercise' I do without actually doing anything. And strangely, this has motivated me to get up every hour and do the required 250 steps, just so I can check the app, and congratulate myself for not being the couch potato everybody thinks I am.
In fact, I have moved onto the next step - please excuse the pun. It was intended - but only after I'd realised I'd made it!
I am now aiming to clock up 'Active Minutes'.
I reckon the app does not register my activity until I've been doing my steps for 10 minutes. After that it registers every minute. I Googled how many steps I would need to take to make 10 minutes, and found it would be around the 1000 mark. It's achievable first thing in the morning, but as the day wears on, other things need to be done - some involve activity and others don't. Having periods of inactivity also messes up the pretty dots on the Hourly Activity chart, so a plan had to be devised.
For my 250 steps each hour, and my 10 minutes activity goals:
- I start stepping at least 5 minutes before the hour, and continue for at least another 5 minutes after the hour. That gives me 2 red lights on the Hourly Activity monitor - one for each hour.
- I keep stepping until I clock up at least 1000 steps on the Steps monitor, and that usually ensures that 10 minutes is recorded on the Active Minutes monitor as well - unless I've been stepping too fast - this has only happened once 😁 I must remember that the Active Minutes monitor is for a timed activity and not a race.
And for the big bonus - I don't have to get up again for an hour and a half for the next 250 steps because I've exercised in two separate time frames!
I don't even need to leave the house to get the steps done. Just walking around indoors registers activity and when I want to boost my activity level I get a wriggle on. I suppose I must look like a demented, semi-crouched woman doing a war dance - but is is working. I haven't lost any weight this week, but it doesn't kill me to take the washing upstairs now.
In my head, I am cheating the system, which is good because, if I think that I'm ahead of the game, I am motivated to carry on. If not, I give up quite easily. Originally, I set the Steps monitor for 8000 steps but once I found I could hit that quite easily, I upped it to the recommended 10,000.
I'm also taking part in some challenges. My daughter has added me to her Workweek Hustle, along with several others who obviously spend all day jogging and never sleep! And tomorrow I'm going to do the NYC 3.1 Miles solo challenge. Why you ask, as I'm already doing more than that? Well, you have to complete them in order. The next challenge is 15,000 steps and I doubt I'll be tackling that any time soon.
Right, I'm off to fool the next 2 hours into thinking I've worked hard. Might even put on The Proclaimers to help me along my journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment