Monday, 7 May 2018

Peter Hunter and the Minions of Mara

Written by Janie St Clair


⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by     Independently published (6 July 2017)
Genre Science Fiction, Fantasy
Pages 357
ISBN-101521302200
ISBN-13978-1521302200

Peter Hunter and the Minions of Mara: Book One of Freelance Exorcists was the first book I chose during the #DecTheShelves challenge. It is listed as Science Fiction, Fantasy and Superhero. I have no idea what possessed me (sorry about the pun!) to pick this book - other than it was on the #DecTheShelves list compiled by Melanie Thurlow - as none of these categories would be a genre I would normally be drawn to. The cover does nothing for me either.

The blurb:


In the fall of his eighth grade year, Peter’s karate teacher tells him that their town is overrun by evil spirits called asuras – the minions of the devil Mara – and he wanted Peter to become his apprentice exorcist.

Peter thought he had enough on his plate with the normal stresses of teenage life: dealing with parents, fitting in, making good grades, and getting the girl. How could he possibly be expected to add “battling evil spirits” to the list?

In Peter Hunter and the Minions of Mara, one boy is given the necessary tools to take on the ancient, invisible forces of evil that ensnare humans daily. He finds his life revolutionized by Buddhism. His life is further transformed when he realizes that the spirits of myth and lore are real... and active.

Can Peter overcome the temptations of Mara and his minions while protecting his fellow humans from their wrath and trickery?

Science fiction and world religions come together in the thrilling series: FREELANCE EXORCISTS

A group of teenagers must work together to banish evil spirits according to their own religious traditions. But where the reality ends and the fantasy begins... that is for the reader to decide!

Thrilling action, charming characters, wit, and wisdom combine in a story that will leave you wishing it were real...

...and thanking God it’s not.


Science Fiction    Fantasy   


My thoughts:

I have rated this as 5 stars because I thoroughly enjoyed this story and it was very well written indeed. The characters were alive in my head - always a good sign that I am into a story - I could visualise Peter and Rob moving at light speed to their assignments and creating the winds and whirlpools to defeat the asuras. I even felt empathy for Jeremy, once I understood his backstory.

At the end of this book is a preview of Book 2 in the series, Chiara Marino and the Demons of Darkness: Book Two of Freelance Exorcists. Peter has now moved to a new city and on his first day in his new school, he meets Chiara Marino who is also an exorcist.

Even if the genre is not something you're comfortable or familiar with, give this book a go. You won't be disappointed!




Purchase from:

Amazon UK



2 comments:

  1. Good day! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could
    get a captcha plugin for my comment form? I'm using the
    same blog platform as yours and I'm having problems finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did some research and if you follow the instructions on this link http://smallbusiness.chron.com/adding-captcha-blogspot-29510.html Blogger will add a word verification step on your blog. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete