Thursday, 9 July 2020

Warlight

Written by Michael Ondaatje


⭐ ⭐


Published by    Vintage Digital (7 Jun. 2018)
Genre Historical Mystery, Thriller, Suspense
Pages 285
ASIN B073R64ZTK
ISBN-101784708348
ISBN-13978-1784708344

This month's Book Club choice is Michael Ondaatje's Warlight, and I managed to get a copy from the library using the Libby app.

I read Warlight during the #20BooksOfSummer20 Reading Challenge hosted by Cathy @746books.com.


The blurb:

Warlight

An elegiac novel set in post-WW2 London about memory, family secrets and lies, from the internationally acclaimed author of The English Patient

It is 1945, and London is still reeling from the Blitz. 14-year-old Nathaniel and his sister, Rachel, are apparently abandoned by their parents, left in the care of an enigmatic figure named The Moth.

They suspect he might be a criminal, and grow both more convinced and less concerned as they get to know his eccentric crew of friends: men and women all who seem determined to protect Rachel and Nathaniel.

But are they really what and who they claim to be?

A dozen years later, Nathaniel journeys through recollection, reality and imagination to uncover all he didn’t know or understand in that time, to piece together a story that feels something like the truth.


Historical Mystery    Thriller, Suspense    Suspense


My thoughts:

I found Warlight tedious. Part One dragged. I did not understand where the plot was going as nothing happened. I nearly gave up on it, except that, at the end of Part One, I was intrigued by Rose's unexpected return and the rescue of her children. Indeed, Rose's wartime exploits are more interesting than the narrator Nathaniel's own story.

Having reached Part Two, I assumed we'd get down to the real story in the following chapters, but we didn't.

I did manage to finish it, and the threads are all tied up, but it wasn't the fast-paced thriller I'd been hoping for.

Not for me.



Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU



No comments:

Post a Comment