Friday, 18 December 2020

Wartime with the Cornish Girls
The Cornish Girls #1

banner indicating the novel falls in the genre Woemens fiction set in World War 2

Written by Betty Walker


⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Avon (18 Feb. 2021)
Genre Military Romance
Pages 352
ASIN B0875S29Y1
ISBN-100008400288
ISBN-13978-0008400286

I should first of all like to thank the author, Betty Walker, her publisher, Avon Books UK, and Netgalley for providing me with a free digital copy of Wartime with the Cornish Girls to review.

book cover for Wartime with the Cornish Girls by Betty Walker

The blurb:

Wartime with the Cornish Girls

1941. The Blitz rages over London.

And even in Cornwall, the war is being fought…

When Violet loses her sister in the Blitz, she must take her nieces to safety in Cornwall. On the coast, she meets carefree chorus girl Eva, who is also running from the dangers of London.

But Porthcurno hides a secret military base, and soon Violet and Eva realise there’s a battle to fight in Cornwall, too.

Together with local Hazel, who works on the base, they must come together to help the war effort. But will their friendship be enough to keep them safe?


Military Romance    Fiction   


My thoughts:

Wartime with the Cornish Girls is set during WWII, a period I find fascinating. I have read a number of WWII stories classed as Women's Fiction, and I am currently enjoying Jean Fullerton's family saga about a family in the East End of London. I chose this book because of the era and the Cornish location in which it's set, hoping to learn more about people's lives away from the capital.

This story brings together three women from different backgrounds: Violet Hopkins, an East End girl, now responsible for her deceased sister's teen-aged girls, Lily and Alice; Hazel Baxter, a Cornishwoman, mother to fifteen year old Charlie and abused wife of Bertie Baxter; and Eva Ryder, the rebellious daughter of the Commanding Officer at Eastern House, Colonel Ryder.

Their daily lives play out in the shadow of World War II. Violet has escaped the bombing in London with her nieces to the relative safety of Porthcorno. Hazel is only too happy that her husband is on active duty, and she does not have to live in fear of him every moment of the day. Eva, having narrowly escaped death in London, has been summoned to Porthcorno to stay with her father. They find themselves working at Eastern House, and form a friendship that, of its day, might only have been made possible by war.

Headstrong Eva wants some fun and enlists Hazel and Violet to help organise a dance. They each have a romantic interest, and their stories are not without intrigue, hope and love.

I really enjoyed this well-written and plausible story. I particularly liked learning about the listening station operations where Eva was working. The main characters are easily likeable and I look forward to reading the next book in this series to see how these girls are coping as the war continues.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU



Author Bio – Betty Walker

Betty Walker lives in Cornwall with her large family, where she enjoys gardening and coastal walks.

She loves discovering curious historical facts, and devotes much time to investigating her family tree.

She also writes bestselling contemporary thrillers as Jane Holland.



Other stories I've read by Jane Holland and Jane Holland writing as Betty Walker






No comments:

Post a Comment