Written by Joy Wood⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
|
I would first of all like to thank Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources for the invitation to join the blog tour for Getting Away With Murder, and the author, Joy Wood, for a free digital copy of her latest release to review.
The blurb:
Getting Away With MurderClaire is happily married to the charismatic Max Maric and living the dream in a luxury house in the prestigious Sandbanks area of Poole Harbour. She loves her husband and their precious son, Freddy. Her life is perfect. Or so she thinks.
Annabelle is Max Maric’s lover. She’s a wealthy widow and is all set to marry him, just as soon as he’s divorced. Her life will then be perfect. Or so she thinks.
One man, two women, but they can’t both have him.
And he doesn’t get to choose – the schizophrenic decides, with a sophisticated plan to eradicate her nemesis in the most heinous of ways.
The intended victim needs a friend.
Fortunately, she has a new one she’s become close to.
But nobody told her that false friends are worse than open enemies.
Crime
Romance
My thoughts:
The blurb immediately piqued my interest in this novel. It sounded like something I would very much enjoy. Dark and twisted. And it really was. I ripped through this book in a couple of days.
Max Maric has a loving wife, Claire, a son, Freddy, and a lover, Annabelle, who is set to marry him as soon as he is rid of his needy wife. Claire doesn't know about Annabelle; Annabelle believes Max is going to leave Claire for her after Claire's fortieth birthday party. She also believes that she has an absolute right to have everything she wants. Max wants to merge his company with Annabelle's.
The more I read, the less sure I was that the word 'merge' properly described Max's business intentions. He seemed very much a 'have your cake and eat it' type of person. I felt he was stringing Annabelle along until 'the merger' had been achieved, then he'd drop her, and transfer his time and energy to his next business project. I didn't think he had much affection or respect for Claire either.
The story is told in the third person, mainly from the perspectives of Claire and Annabelle. From the outset, it was easy to like Claire the caring wife and mother, but even easier to dislike Max, the unfaithful husband, and Annabelle, his paramour. Claire had me rooting for her all the way, but I loved listening to Annabelle's increasingly worrying thoughts, and her twisted machinations.
A cleverly conceived plot, Getting Away With Murder is a well-written story, with realistic characters, and mounting tension.
I thought I had the plot line worked out, and was delighted to find I was only partly right. I do love a bit of misdirection. And the epilogue left me wide-eyed and open-mouthed; surely not!
I really enjoyed reading this story, and look forward to reading more from this author.
| Author Bio – Joy Wood |
|---|
|
Joy Wood has worked as a nurse most of her adult life and turned to writing six years ago to ‘see if she could.’ Her earlier work was adult romance and intrigue, but more recently she has switched genres to romance with a crime element. Joy lives in the small but charming seaside town of Cleethorpes in North East Lincolnshire and her writing ideas come from watching the tide turn daily, of course with the obligatory ice-cream – someone has to support the local economy! |
| Social Media Links – | |
| @joywoodauthor | |
| www.facebook.com/joywoodauthor | |
| Web site | www.joywoodauthor.wordpress.com |




No comments:
Post a Comment