Sunday, 6 March 2022

Don't Tell Penny

Book Cover for Don't Tell Penny by Anna Bell

Written by Anna Bell


Enjoyable
short story
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Published by Quercus (31st Oct 2013)
Genre Short Stories, ChickLit, Romance
Pages 24
ISBN-13 9781848666184



The Backlist Reader Challenge 2022
The #BackListReader Challenge has made me look seriously at the books I've got waiting to be read. I am often tempted to buy or acquire a title based on the cover, the blurb or a recommendation, and then forget about while I am being enticed by another...

Having decided to take part in this challenge, I thought I'd start with a title I downloaded in March 2017.



The blurb:

Lou and Penny have been best friends forever, so when Penny tells Lou she’s sure tonight’s the night fiancĂ© Mark will finally propose, Lou couldn't be more pleased for her.

But when the moment arrives, Lou can't help but wonder if marriage might be the furthest thing from Mark’s mind, and Penny hasn't noticed a thing!

Could it fall on Lou to break the news gently, or will Mark bend his knee before it's just too late?



My thoughts:

Don't Tell Penny is a short story and prequel to Don't Tell the Groom, which I have yet to read. The story, about a much anticipated engagement ring, is told in the first person by Lou Talbot, the best friend of Penny, the expectant fiancée.

I found this short story rather amusing. I could imagine the lengths Penny had gone to, to look her absolute best for the evening, and her frenzied excitement at the prospect of Mark now being ready ready to pop the question.

I loved the secondary character Jane. I'm sure that everyone knows a 'Jane'. Jane's proposal story is bigger and better than everyone else's, but I felt she was more concerned with the material benefits of a marriage, and would never be as happy as Lou and Russell.

This is a quick, enjoyable read that has encouraged me to read Don't Tell the Groom.

No comments:

Post a Comment