Sunday, 6 March 2022

Englishman in Blackpool,
An Englishwoman Short Story

Book Cover for Englishman in Blackpool

Written by Jenny O'Brien


Lovely
short story
⭐⭐⭐⭐


Published by Saturday's Child (28 Jun. 2017)
Genre Short Story, Fiction
Pages 25
ASIN B073H631PF


The Backlist Reader Challenge 2022
In November 2019 I downloaded a free copy of this short story because the blurb appealed to me. This was long before I discovered Jenny O'Brien's Detective Gabby Darin series, which I love. And it probably would have remained hidden on my TBR shelf for a while yet, had I not been looking for candidates for the #BackListReader Challenge.






The blurb:

Englishman in Blackpool, the short story prequel to the Englishwoman series.

Story length, fifteen minutes.

STANDALONE SWEET ROMANCE WITH GUARANTEED HEA

Mr Hopper, butler to the Earl of Cosgrave, has pretty much given up on ever finding that special person in his life that is, until he meets Beverley.

Beverley has got herself into a pickle, a pickle that goes by the name of Joshua. She's all set to run away from the ballet competition at Blackpool's Winter Garden's and then she meets Hopper...

If you enjoyed Downton Abbey you'll enjoy this modern historical series, where lords, ladies, (and butlers), have to cope in a modern world.

BOOKS IN THE SERIES
Englishman in Blackpool
Englishwoman in Paris
Englishwoman in Manhattan
Englishwoman in Scotland
Englishwoman at Christmas


My thoughts:

I loved this short story. It is the prequel to Englishwoman in Paris which I've just added to my reading list as I'm curious as to what happens next!

It's 1997. The Englishman in this story is Arnold Hopper; butler to Lord and Lady Cosgrave. He is spending a fortnight in Blackpool, primarily to help a friend at the Rosebush Dance Studio. Here he meets a woman, Beverley, who has an effect on him like no other. She has a problem, and he is willing to help.

Although this is a short story, I found it caught my attention and drew me in quickly. I thought it was well-written and has made me want to read Englishwoman in Paris which is a much longer story, and next in this series.



Purchase from:

Amazon UK    Amazon US    Amazon CA    Amazon AU    Amazon IN






Author Bio – Jenny O'Brien

Born in Dublin, Jenny O'Brien moved to Wales and then Guernsey, where she tries to find time to write in between working as a nurse and ferrying around 3 teenagers.

In her spare time she can be found frowning at her wonky cakes and even wonkier breads. You'll be pleased to note she won't be entering Bake-Off. She's also an all-year-round sea swimmer.

Readers can find out more about Jenny and her books on her blog:

(jennyobrienwriter.wordpress) and she can also be found on

Twitter and Instagram as 'scribblerjb'.

Facebook (Jenny O'Brien Guernsey Writer)

Books in series reading order, although each is stand-alone:-

    THRILLERS

   Silent Cry (Gaby Darin Book One)

   Darkest Night ( Gaby Darin Book Two)

   Fallen Angel (Gaby Darin Book Three)

   Lost Souls (Gaby Darin Book Four)

   Buried Lies (Gaby Darin Book Five)

   The Stepsister




Other stories I've read by Jenny O'Brien



No comments:

Post a Comment