Sunday, 23 June 2024

The Winter of Second Chances

Written by Jenny Bayliss



Highly
Recommended
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Pan; Main Market edition (11 Nov. 2021)
Genre Contemporary Romance, Women's Fiction
Pages 464
ASIN B0953Q7JK3
ISBN-101529027101
ISBN-13978-1529027105

My thanks, first of all, to the author, Jenny Bayliss, her publisher Pan Macmillan, and Netgalley for providing me with a free digital copy of The Winter of Second Chances to review.

The blurb:

The Winter of Second Chances

Annie Sharpe has it all – an acclaimed restaurant she owns with her handsome husband Max, and two gorgeous grown-up sons. But after one indiscretion too many, she leaves behind the only life she’s ever known.

In search of a fresh start, Annie takes up a position as a caretaker of Saltwater Nook, a creaky but charming beach house on Kent’s beautiful, wild coastline. The village community is an eccentric but tightknit bunch, and Annie is swept up in a whirlwind of their traditional festive celebrations, from pumpkin carving to bonfires on the beach. It soon feels like home – she even reopens the long-dormant seafront cafĂ©.

The only thorns in her side are John, the owner’s rugged but totally unreasonable nephew who has his own agenda for the house, and a persistent Max, intent on winning her back.

Saltwater Nook has been the perfect escape, but Annie can’t run from her problems forever. Will she give her first love a second chance? Or step into the promise of a new life?


Contemporary Romance    Women's Fiction   


My thoughts:

I chose to read this story because I had previously enjoyed The Twelve Dates of Christmas and I found the blurb enticing.

Annie is a successful restauranteur and chef. She co-owns The Pomegranate Seed restaurant with her husband, Max, who works front-of-house. They are the parents of twin boys who have long since flown the nest, and appear to have it all. However, Max has been cheating on Annie throughout their marriage, and when Annie finds him with his latest paramour, she can no longer turn a blind eye, and leaves him.

An advertisement in a newspaper brings Annie to Willow Bay where she will have the winter season to think about her future.

I was hooked by the end of Chapter One, where Annie's perfect life comes crashing down. I found the story both humorous and plausible. I thought the characters were realistically drawn and very likeable; likeable with the exception of the sleaze ball Max of course. Of the secondary characters I particularly liked Maeve, and as I write her name I giggle as I remember the Victorian book club meeting where Maeve gives Annie an 'interesting' present for hosting the club.

My favourite line comes from Bill the landlord of The Sunken Willow pub who seems to be quite used to people arriving at the pub having encountered the local seagulls. Living by the coast, I can relate to being dive-bombed by these winged dustbins, and my windows bear testament to the accuracy of their aim.

I was also very fond of Alfred, the homeless man. He has a backstory I'd like to know more about.

For the most part, The Winter of Second Chances is a gentle story about a woman starting over again in a new place; making new friends; setting up a new business; and being open to finding a new love. And just when it looks like things are working out for her, things take a turn and there is a bit of high drama that had me on the edge of my seat.

I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to lovers of Women's Fiction.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU



Author Bio – Jenny Bayliss

Jenny Bayliss lives in a small seaside town in the UK with her husband, their children having left home for big adventures.

After having been a professional cake-baker for many years, she went back to college at age thirty-nine to study part-time for a degree in Creative and Professional Writing.

Bayliss likes long walks, baking days, stationery, and shamelessly wearing party dresses to the supermarket.

The Twelve Dates of Christmas is her debut novel.


Other stories I've read by Jenny Bayliss






No comments:

Post a Comment