Written by Sarah Myhill and Craig Robinson
Thought
|
| Published by | Hammersmith Health Books (28 April 2022) |
| Genre | Healthy Eating, Low Carb Diet |
| Pages | 240 |
| ASIN | B09QPKGPHX |
| ISBN-10 | 178161217X |
| ISBN-13 | 978-1781612170 |
Today I want to tell you about a book which is changing my life.
Sounds dramatic doesn't it?
Well, I've had several spells of ill-health this year and feeling rather miserable about it, I spoke to a friend who is very much into health matters. She suggested that I might need to take some vitamin C to help me fight off the bugs I seem prone to getting, and that I might like to adopt a Paleo-Ketogenic diet. She mentioned a couple of food items that I'd been conditioned to believe were unhealthy and told me I could eat them on this diet, although there are other food groups that I would need to avoid, but that I would lose weight as well as feeling healthier.
So I decided to look into it and she recommended this book to get me started.
Sounds dramatic doesn't it?
Well, I've had several spells of ill-health this year and feeling rather miserable about it, I spoke to a friend who is very much into health matters. She suggested that I might need to take some vitamin C to help me fight off the bugs I seem prone to getting, and that I might like to adopt a Paleo-Ketogenic diet. She mentioned a couple of food items that I'd been conditioned to believe were unhealthy and told me I could eat them on this diet, although there are other food groups that I would need to avoid, but that I would lose weight as well as feeling healthier.
So I decided to look into it and she recommended this book to get me started.
The blurb:
Paleo-Ketogenic: The Why and the How: Just what this doctor orderedSarah Myhill and Craig Robinson's new book brings together all the guidance offered across their many other publications to show why a paleo-ketogenic diet is evolutionarily correct, and therefore the healthiest option, and how it can be practised affordably, easily and sustainably so that chronic 'diseases of civilisation' can be prevented or reversed.
Discover how to prevent 'the upper fermenting gut' – the cause of the current epidemic of oesophageal cancer and other digestive problems.
Find out how to clear out chronic infections and toxins and what to expect while doing so.
Pick and choose from a selection of delicious low-carb whole-food recipes that will provide a high level of nutrients in the right balance.
Just do it!
Healthy Eating
Low Carb Diet
My thoughts:
I read this book in a week and have gone back and forth ever since, rereading sections to help me better understand this diet. To begin, I decided that I could not simply adopt this diet in its entirety, but that I would need to ween myself off foods gradually, starting with dairy products, before giving up processed foods, sugary foods, wheat, rice, bread, pasta and potatoes. I also needed to empty my food cupboards of all the "bad stuff" and replace it with foods that I had previously been told to avoid.
The book talks about being in ketosis and testing with a ketone breath meter, but I haven't gone that far. I really wanted to know which foods I should eat and how I can make this diet feel not like a diet. I don't know about you, but the word "diet" has me running to the fridge looking for food. I associate "diet" with deprivation, constantly feeling hungry and not losing enough weight to feel rewarded for my efforts.
Using this book as a guide, I have lost 21lbs in 8 weeks, going from obese to overweight, but I still need to lose about 20lbs to make the healthy weight category. I recently had a period where I didn't lose any weight, but going back to the book I realised that I was under eating and that had affected my metabolism. So I increased my intake and lost another 2lbs!
This diet involves a life-style change. It's not something you do to lose weight and them go back to "normal" eating. You can occasionally eat something on the "forbidden list", but not to make a habit of it. The best thing though, is that I never feel hungry on this diet. I do occasionally miss milk chocolate, dairy ice cream and roast potatoes, but I have discovered new-to-me foods which I'm thoroughly enjoying including 85% dark chocolate, dairy-free vegan ice cream, coconut colab and sweet potato fries.
I'm now looking for a paleo-ketogenic recipe book to widen my repertoire.
br />
| Social Media Links – | |
| Web site | https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/ |
| Dr Sarah Myhill | |
| X | @MyhillNews |
No comments:
Post a Comment