Saturday, 26 October 2024

The Island Girls

Blog tour header for The Island Girls showing tour dates 21st to 27th October 2024

Written by Rachel Sweasey


⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Boldwood Books (21st October 2024)
Genre Historical Fiction
Pages 312
ASIN B0CZP1K5R3
ISBN-101835331068
ISBN-13978-1835331064

Today I'm taking part in a blog tour with a review of Rachel Sweasey's latest release, The Island Girls, organised by Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources.

As always, I begin by thanking Rachel's Random Resources for the invitation to join the tour, and author Rachel Sweasey. her publisher Boldwood Books and Netgalley for a free digital copy of this novel to review.
Full tour banner showing participating bloggers and tour dates 21st to 27th October 2024

Book cover for the novel The Island Girls by Rachel Sweasey

The blurb:

The Island Girls

1941: For the townspeople of Poole on the Dorset coast, the war feels like it's right on their doorstep. And with more and more men leaving to fight, one fisherman’s daughter is determined to do whatever she can to help. Peggy volunteers to use her skills on the water to work with the flying boats alongside the RAF based in the harbour. But when she is asked to undertake a special mission, she will have to make a terrible choice – between her duty to her country and her only chance of happiness.

1998: Rebekah has travelled halfway around the world to take up a role on Brownsea Island. This tiny island off the coast of England is a treasure trove of natural wonder, but it still carries the scars of fighting. And when Rebekah discovers a lost letter from the war, hidden all this time, she becomes determined to deliver it, fifty years later.

But the idyllic Dorset harbour hides many more secrets, and Rebekah’s search for the truth will change her life in ways she never imagined possible…


Historical Fiction   


My thoughts:

The Island Girls is a dual time-line story set mainly in Poole and on Brownsea Island. In the 1940's Peggy Symonds is the focus of the story. She is the daughter of a fisherman and is working for the British Overseas Airways Corporation as a launch operator, ferrying passengers to boat planes. She is quick to learn and her work becomes more varied. In 1998 the protagonist is Rebekah Martin, an Australian by birth but now living and working on Brownsea Island as a ranger.

I particularly liked reading about Peggy's life during World War II and learned a lot about the area she worked in. That's always a point of interest to me; that I find out something I didn't know before whilst enjoying a story. I did, however, find the pace rather slow up to the midway point where I was very much hooked having realised what was going on.

This is an interesting and well-researched story which I very much enjoyed.



Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU    Amazon IN




Author Bio – Rachel Sweasey
publicity shot of author Rachel Sweasey

Rachel Sweasey is a historical fiction novelist.

She lives in Australia, where she was born to English parents, but bases her fiction in Poole where she grew up, which provides inspiration for her WW11 stories.

Her first book for Boldwood was The Last Boat Home.


Other stories I've read by Rachel Sweasey






No comments:

Post a Comment