Sunday, 3 November 2024

The Mid-life Trials of Annabeth Hope
Interview With The Author

Blog tour header for The Mid-life Trials of Annabeth Hope showing tour dates 1st to 5th November 2024

Written by Alice May



Published by    Book Guild Publishing (28 Oct. 2024)
Genre Contemporary Romance
Pages 352
ASIN B0DHYFJH7C
ISBN-101835740596
ISBN-13978-1835740590

Today I am taking part in blog tour organised by Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources for
The Mid-life Trials of Annabeth Hope, and, as part of that tour, I am delighted to have Alice May, the author, join me on my blog for my feature Interview with the Author.
Full tour banner showing participating bloggers and tour dates 1st to 5th November 2024

Book cover for the novel The Mid-life Trials of Annabeth Hope by Alice May

The blurb:

The Mid-life Trials of Annabeth Hope

Two very different worlds are about to collide.

Feisty country girl Annabeth Hope has sworn off men since her ex abandoned her. Juggling three resentful step-teens, a hyperactive toddler, a smallholding, and a herd of rescued llamas, she has her hands full.

With the roof about to collapse on her crumbling New Forest home, she is desperate to find a way to hold her patchwork family together. The last thing she needs is an attractive distraction moving in next door.

Burnt-out inner-city doctor Rick Mahon has left London and his medical career behind in a moment of professional crisis. A malpractice lawsuit is on the horizon, and the cancel culture mob are snapping at his heels. His plan to stay under the radar is thrown off course when he meets his new neighbour and sparks start to fly.

Annabeth and Rick couldn't be more different, but maybe they hold the key to each other’s happiness…

“What more could we want from life? Family, friends, llamas, and hope...
An excellent read.” Jenny Kane, author of the bestselling Mill Grange Series.


Short Stories    Romance    Humour

Interview with the Author


~ Alice May ~


Five Questions and Answers from Alice May: When, Why, Where, How and What next?


Q1. When do I write?

First thing in the morning is the best time for me to write. Not only does this mean I can crank out a respectable word count before lunchtime, allowing me to get on with other things during the rest of the day, but also, my brain is at its most creative when I first wake up. By the evening, I am usually fit for nothing but supper and curling up with a good book.


Q2. Why do I write?

I write, because I find it impossible not to write. There are multiple narratives (not voices, stories) going around inside my head at all times. It’s very entertaining and probably the reason why I don’t need the TV, radio or music on. I find that if I don’t write, it gets very crowded in my skull and all the different characters start squabbling. Once I let the words play out on the page, my head feels lighter and I can sleep. It’s a very satisfying process seeing my stories grow to a point where I can share them.


Q3. Where do I write?

The simple answer is anywhere. I often use a desktop in my study, especially towards the end of a project when manuscripts can get really large and a big screen is helpful. Nevertheless, I am just as happy to write on a laptop in a coffee shop or a library, or on my phone in the car when I am waiting to pick up the children. If the ideas and words are there, I write.


Q4. How do I get my ideas?

Stories come from all the things around me. I don’t base them on true events. Instead, I pick and choose themes, characteristics and pieces of situations that I find interesting. Then I let those elements rest for a while to see what happens. At some point a story will pop out at me and then it’s all systems go to see if it will develop into a book.

The Mid-life Trials and Annabeth Hope came from two main original sources. Firstly, my twenty-year career as a GP surgery manager, gave me an insight into the serious issue of burnout in medical staff. Very aware of the importance self-care, I knew this was a theme I wanted to explore. One of my main protagonists, Rick, an inner-city doctor, arrived almost fully formed, armed with baggage and a serious tale to tell. My other main protagonist, Annabeth (Beth for short), came complete with a complicated, fractured family that needed help to work out a way to pull together to survive when their New Forest home comes under threat. Rick and Beth come from completely different worlds, with no real understanding of how each other ticks. I had fun putting them together and watching the fireworks unfold.


Q5. What next?

Next is book 2 in the Forest Families Series. As yet untitled, it is at the final drafting stage. I hope to have news on that release in the not too distant future.

The BLURB for The Mid-life Trials of Annabeth Hope by Alice May

Feisty country girl Annabeth Hope has sworn off men since her ex abandoned her. Juggling three resentful step-teens, a hyperactive toddler, a small holding, and a herd of rescued llamas, she has her hands full.

With the roof about to collapse on her crumbling New Forest home, she is desperate to find a way to hold her patchwork family together. The last thing she needs is an attractive distraction moving in next door.

Burnt-out, inner-city doctor Rick Mahon has left London and his medical career behind in a moment of professional crises. A malpractice lawsuit is on the horizon, and the cancel culture are snapping at his heels. His plan to stay under the radar is thrown off course when he meets his new neighbour and sparks start to fly.

Annabeth couldn't be more different, but maybe they hold the key to each other's happiness.

'What more could we want from in life? Family, friends, llamas and hope... An excellent read.' Jenny Kane, author of the best-selling Mill Grange Series.


Thank you Alice, for stopping by my blog today and good luck with the blog tour. I love the blurb. It sounds like a story I'd really enjoy so I've added The Mid-life Trials of Annabeth Hope to my wish list for Christmas!





Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU    Amazon IN

Publisher The Book Guild         WH Smith     

Waterstones         Hive         Coles




Author Bio – Alice May
publicity shot of author Alice May

A former GP surgery manager, school librarian and art teacher, Alice May is mum to four not-so-small children.

She is married to the most patient man on the planet, and they live in the New Forest.

Alice started writing in 2016 and she enjoyed playing with words so much that now she can’t stop.





No comments:

Post a Comment