Written by Helga Jensen
|
Today for my stop on the blog tour organised by Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources, I am delighted to welcome to my blog Helga Jensen, author of the recently published romantic novel A New Life in Amsterdam. Helga has written a guest post about her impressions of Amsterdam, the inspirational setting for her latest story.
The blurb:
A New Life in AmsterdamCould down-sizing her life mean up-sizing her dreams?
Since her daughter grew up and left home, Sandy has found herself filling her house with things - impulse purchases that she just has to have but that quickly lose their sheen. Why would she need an expensive set of copper pans when she has no one to cook for?
Realising that her shopping habit is out of control, she asks herself: can she de-clutter, downsize and start a new life?
She has always wanted to live on a barge, and she reasons that there is no way she would have room for random purchases on a boat. Taking the bravest decision of her life, Sandy buys and refurbishes a barge in the beautiful city of Amsterdam.
Relishing her independence, she is not looking for love, but as the nights draw in and the leaves start to fall from the trees, she finds herself drawn to cafe owner and expert hot chocolate maker Abe.
Is she willing to take a second chance on finding the one?
Amazing Amsterdam!
Writing books set around gorgeous locations is something I love doing and often the location is the first thing I think about for a new book. For my latest novel, I knew that I wanted to set this in Amsterdam, somewhere I had travelled to when I was cabin crew. The very first time I set foot in the Netherlands I loved the people, the easy-going spirit and the culture. I knew it was a city that I could fall in love with because there is so much to see and do in the city of Amsterdam; from the canals to the wonderful art galleries and shops. Oh, and we must talk about the glorious food! Think waffles with lashings of cream and the fun snacks from the ‘hole in the wall.’
It was all these glorious characteristics that I thought about first and I then set my story around everything that I love so much about Amsterdam. Of course, with those myriad canals, writing a book set on a barge came naturally. The whole time I wrote the story, I loved spending time mentally on that beautiful canal boat, despite having to research DIY on barges whilst Sandy upgraded her new home! I never thought I would be researching woodworm and replacing wooden floors, but when you start writing a book you just never know what you will learn by the final chapter.
There are also beguiling flea markets to peruse and this was something I wanted to be quite central to the plot in A New Life in Amsterdam. I love the fact that Amsterdam has fabulous book markets and a wonderful monthly market in Westergas. Who doesn’t love perusing a market?!
Even though Sandy lives on a barge, I also had to mention the barge trips for tourists. Although Sandy and her best friend enjoy a pancake cruise in the story, the last time I was in Amsterdam I went on a champagne canal cruise which I can confirm was the most fabulous experience. Despite the chilly weather, I was huddled up in a blanket, cruising the canals with a glass of champagne in my hand, while being told about the history of the city by the most knowledgeable tour guide. I learnt many things from my tour (despite the glasses of champers!) The guide was so interesting as she told me about the window tax, why people leave their curtains open, the tale of the house with the stork and much more. All of these facts went into the memory bank as I knew they would be interesting additions for any story set in Amsterdam. Then I brought in a love affair with a gorgeous Dutch guy who is a little unorthodox and relaxed, and I knew I had the bones of a story to tell!
To find out more about this delightful action-packed city, you’ll have to read A New Life in Amsterdam!
| Author Bio – Helga Jensen |
|---|
|
Helga Jensen is an internationally award-winning British/Danish best selling author and journalist. Her debut novel was a winning entry in the 2017 Montegrappa First Fiction competition at Dubai’s Emirates Literary Festival. Her debut was also a contender for the coveted 2021 Joan Hessayon Award for new writers. Helga's best selling novel, Fly me to Paris, was a finalist for the 2024 Popular Romantic Fiction Award. In 2025, her novel, A Christmas in Prague, was also a finalist for the Popular Romantic Fiction Award. Helga holds a BA Hons in English Literature and Creative Writing, along with a Creative Writing MA from Bath Spa University. She is currently finishing a Creative Writing PhD. |
| Social Media Links – | |
| @Helgajensenauthor | |
| Facebook Author Page | @Helgajensenfordeauthor |
| X | @HelgajensenF |




No comments:
Post a Comment