Thursday, 23 October 2025

A Ticket To Ride
Children's Stories and Rhymes (ages 3-8 years)

Logo describing this book as a children's book

Written by Sue Wickstead


Highly
recommended


🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟


Published by    JayJayBooks 20 Oct. 2025
Genre Stories and Rhymes
Pages 32
ASIN B0FLWKVSS7
ISBN-101916392377
ISBN-13978-1916392373

For readers aged 3 - 8 years

Earlier this year I was alerted to a new children's book being published in time for Christmas when I was reading Sue Wickstead's newsletter.

Shortly after that, Sue contacted me and asked if I would read her first draft and offer feedback. I was completely bowled over by it and pre-ordered copies as soon as it became available online. I know that my grandchildren will be thrilled to get a paperback copy each at Christmas. The test will be for me to save them for Christmas and not hand them out sooner!

Today I am absolutely delighted to be reviewing her latest chldren's book, A Ticket to Ride.


Book cover for the novel A Ticket To Ride by Sue Wickstead

The blurb:

A Ticket To Ride

This collection of light-hearted poems and stories is perfect for a cosy afternoon reading with your little ones. Perfect for sharing.

Around the corner and up the hill, jumping off when the bus stops still.

Animals and friends hop on and off the bus as it travels through lands near and far, on special days and everyday afternoons. On this journey, you can meet everything from cats and elephants to one very celebratory bee, telling jokes and adding their opinions.

A Ticket to Ride is a fun collection of cheerful poems with a few short stories sprinkled in. I love the silliness as well as the thoughtful moments, and who doesn't need a few extra knock-knock jokes to brighten their day? This book is a great read-along, with poems for anytime you want to celebrate.


Children's Books    Rhymes    Riddles


My thoughts:

A Ticket to Ride is another truly wonderful children's book from Sue Wickstead.

Filled with brightly coloured pictures, jokes, poetry and riddles, this book will entertain and excite younger readers. The jokes are dreadful! I absolutely loved them! I hopped on the bus the other day… is my favourite. I'd not heard that one before. The calligram poem is a novel idea, and had me turning the book in all directions trying to follow the trail of words. I bet that will cause lots of merriment when the grandchildren try reading it!

A Ticket to Ride is a fantastic book to read with the children and I think it works for the adults as well. Some children's stories I have read have bored me to tears, so I lose interest and therefore the children do too. But A Ticket to Ride has the mix of poems, easy-to-read stories and groan-inducing jokes that will hold the adult’s attention as well as the child's. My grandchildren are now learning to read by themselves and I believe this will become a favourite for them to read at bedtime.

I am a big fan of Sue Wickstead's books for younger readers and this one has something for everyone to enjoy.

I think this is probably my favouite now and highly recommend for early readers.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU     Amazon IN

Waterstones     SueWickstead.com      Foyles     Barnes & Noble    


Author Bio – Sue Wickstead
publicity shot of author Sue Wickstead

“‘A Ticket to Ride’, Sue’s latest book, is a collection of stories and rhymes packed with cheerful poems, silly stories, knock-knock jokes, and adventures that leap off the page.”

Sue Wickstead is a children's author and has written picture storybooks inspired by her adventures with a Playbus and her experiences as a teacher and play worker.

The Playbus was a double-decker bus where children could come and play; it was full of toys, fancy dress clothes, books, games, arts and crafts materials. A bus for children to could come along and safely play; it was a lot of fun for children and adults too.

Initially, Sue wrote a photographic history book about the Playbus, which, following questions from children, led her to tell stories that grew into fictional tales.

Some of Sue's stories are about her bus adventures and tales involving playtime, some of her stories and singing rhymes are inspired by her playtimes with her grandchildren.

Sue’s latest collection, ‘A Ticket to Ride’, is a collection of stories and rhymes.

Sue enjoys engaging and inspiring children with their reading and writing, she loves to promote reading for pleasure and developing a love of books, words and stories.

Sue lives in the Southeast of England.



Other stories I've read by Sue Wickstead

Bewbush Playbus






1 comment:

  1. It is always great to read a review and especially as you saw the book in its raw state.
    Your comments, advice and support is always welcome.
    Enjoy the book with little ones and don't get too lost in the maze.

    ReplyDelete