Sunday, 26 October 2025

Cold Grave
Book 6 of 6: Detective Gaby Darin

Header denoting the genre of Crime Thriller

Written by Jenny O'Brien


🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟


Published by     HQ Digital (18 May 2022)
Genre Welsh Crime, Women's Detective Fiction
Pages 384
ASIN B09QPBT39P
ISBN-10 0008457093
ISBN-13 978-0008457099



Cold Grave is another novel I downloaded through Netgalley with the intention of reading it immediately... and then life got in the way and it slid down the list and somehow dropped off the radar.

Now that I'm getting back on track, and catching up on my TBR list, I was delighted to find it again. My sincere thanks to the author Jenny O'Brien, her publisher, HQ Digital, and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy to review, and my apologies for not reading it sooner.

Book cover for Janny O'beiens Cold Grave

The blurb:

It’s every parent’s worst nightmare…

Seventeen-year-old Bryony Lloyd’s father drops her off at a friend’s house to study – but when he returns to pick her up there’s no sign of her, and the woman who lives in the house swears she lives alone. Bryony has vanished into thin air, and her ‘friend’ doesn’t seem to exist.

DI Gaby Darin immediately sees similarities with another missing-persons case: seventeen-year-old Christy Taylor, who vanished without warning several months earlier. There’s nothing in the girls’ personal lives to suggest trouble at home – could someone have taken them both?

After a third case is linked, Gaby knows time is running out if she’s going to find Bryony and Christy alive. After going missing over a year ago, this girl’s just been found dead.

When a tragic accident means Gaby loses a vital member of her team, she distracts herself from her grief by throwing herself into finding the missing girls. Even if it means putting her whole career on the line…

A gripping and thrilling mystery for fans of Angela Marsons, Rachel McLean and Cara Hunter. Cold Grave will have you hooked!


Welsh Crime    Women's Detective Fiction    Police Procedural


My thoughts:

Cold Grave is the final instalment in the Detective Gaby Darin series, all of which I have enjoyed over the years. I can't believe this series has come to an end, and with an ending I was neither expecting nor able to digest. Cold Grave can easily be read as a standalone as the focus, as always, is on the case Darin's team are working on. However, I'd recommend reading the series from the beginning to get a better understanding of the characters in Darin's team and her personal life.

Although I felt the story started slowly, it soon picked up pace as the investigation took off. I found this gripping story about child abduction both intriguing and unsettling. The plot, to my mind, is perfectly plausible, and that made it all the more disturbing.

While the blurb warns us that Darin loses a valued member of her team, I was not prepared for how this thread would pan out, nor the long-term consequences it would have for Darin personally.

Cold Grave kept me on the edge of my seat throughout and I would highly recommend this series to readers who enjoy a police procedural with a strong female lead.




Purchase from:

Barnes & Noble     Waterstones    WH Smith    Foyles


Amazon UK    Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU



Author Bio – Jenny O'Brien

Born in Dublin, Jenny O'Brien moved to Wales and then Guernsey, where she tries to find time to write in between working as a nurse and ferrying around 3 teenagers.

In her spare time she can be found frowning at her wonky cakes and even wonkier breads. You'll be pleased to note she won't be entering Bake-Off. She's also an all-year-round sea swimmer.

Readers can find out more about Jenny and her books on her blog:

(jennyobrienwriter.wordpress) and she can also be found on

Twitter and Instagram as 'scribblerjb'.

Facebook (Jenny O'Brien Guernsey Writer)

Books in series reading order, although each is stand-alone:-

    THRILLERS

   Silent Cry (Gaby Darin Book One)

   Darkest Night ( Gaby Darin Book Two)

   Fallen Angel (Gaby Darin Book Three)

   Lost Souls (Gaby Darin Book Four)

   Buried Lies (Gaby Darin Book Five)

   The Stepsister




Other stories I've read by Jenny O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment