Monday, 24 November 2025

The Cornish Girls Before the Storm
The Cornish Girls Book #9

Logo depicting this book is classified as womens fiction

Written by Betty Walker


I loved it! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Avon 1 Jan. 2026
Genre Historical Fiction
Pages 384
ASIN B0FBLLKYWR
ISBN-100008715173
ISBN-13978-0008715175

The Cornish Girls Before the Storm is book number 9 in The Cornish Girls series, and I should like to begin by thanking Betty Walker, the author, her publisher, Avon, and Netgalley for providing me with a free digital copy in advance of publication to review.


Book cover for Betty Walkers novel The Cornish Girls Before the Storm showing 3 young women walking along a grassy field with the sea as a backdrop. The girls are wearing 1930s dresses and coats

The blurb:

The Cornish Girls Before the Storm

Meet the Cornish Girls before the war!

War looms on the horizon. Their lives are about to change forever…

Dagenham, 1939. Sheila Hopkins has always put her family first. But when tragedy strikes, she’s faced with an impossible choice: hold on to what’s left of the past, or take a leap of faith for the future.

Her daughter Betsy is trying to stay strong for her children, even as her marriage is tested by sorrow and the rising tension towards her loving husband’s German heritage. Then an act of violence shatters her fragile peace and everything begins to unravel.

And newcomer Edith Treloar arrives from Cornwall with a suitcase full of hopes and heartbreak… and a secret that could change everything.

As the first sirens sound, they will discover that the greatest battles are fought closest to home. Will they find the strength to carry on together?



Historical Fiction    Family Saga    Fiction


My thoughts:

The Cornish Girls Before the Storm is book 9 in The Cornish Girls series, and this one takes us back to the late 1930s before the war had started. Having read some of the other books in this series, I already knew most of the main characters and how their stories were going to pan out. That said, I really enjoyed visiting their lives before the war had begun. I felt that despite the looming war and unrest in the country that Shelia in particular was willing to take a chance and invest in a future for herself and her family.

I thought the novel was well-written and found the historical details interesting and informative, adding to my overall enjoyment of this book. Alice's evacuation experience mirrored my mother's experience and I'm sure many others, bringing the story more alive in my mind.

I would wholeheartedly recommend The Cornish Girls series and most definitely this particular story.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU     Amazon IN




Author Bio – Betty Walker

Betty Walker lives in Cornwall with her large family, where she enjoys gardening and coastal walks.

She loves discovering curious historical facts, and devotes much time to investigating her family tree.

She also writes bestselling contemporary thrillers as Jane Holland.



Other stories I've read by Betty Walker






No comments:

Post a Comment