Written by Jenny O’Brien
Highly
|
| Published by | Storm Publishing 6th Feb. 2026 |
| Genre | Historical Fiction WWII |
| Pages | 359 |
| ASIN | B0FZ6F8397 |
| ISBN-10 | 1837002568 |
| ISBN-13 | 978-1837002542 |
I had heard a lot about Jenny O'Brien's latest novel, The Resistance Knitting Club and as a huge fan of Ms. O'Brien's stories, I was delighted to be offered the chance to read this novel for a blog tour organised by Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources.
As usual, I begin by thanking Ms O'Brien, her publisher, Storm Publishing, and Netgalley for a free digital copy to review.
The blurb:
The Resistance Knitting ClubInspired by the true story of a woman who used knitting patterns to encode intelligence during World War Two.
Guernsey, 2010. After a stroke, an elderly woman shocks her family by speaking perfect French – a language they never knew she possessed. As her granddaughter unravels seventy years of silence, a hidden wartime story emerges...
Paris, 1941. After her brother is declared missing in action at Dunkirk, eighteen-year-old Lenny Gallienne vanishes into Churchill’s secret army. In a bookshop on Rue de la Pompe, she poses as a simple shop girl while encoding intelligence from Nazi headquarters into knitting patterns. Each sweater smuggled to prisoners contains flight paths. Each scarf holds radio frequencies. Each mistake means execution.
Fellow agent, Harry Dennison is the only person who knows her real name. But when the SS close in, Lenny faces an impossible choice in the Metro tunnels beneath Paris – one that will haunt her family for generations. Because in the resistance, the most dangerous secrets are the ones you keep from those you love most.
Having thoroughly enjoyed Jenny O'Brien's The Book of Lost Children, I jumped at the chance to get an advance copy of The Resistance Knitting Club. From the blurb, it definitely looked like a book I'd enjoy - a dual time-line, with the story set mainly during WWII. However, I wasn't expecting it to be as compelling as I found it to be.
The story centres on Lenny Gallienne, who at eighteen years of age leaves Guernsey for the first time. She goes to London to find out what has happened to her brother James who has been listed as missing in action, and unexpectedly finds herself becoming an SOE agent. She is parachuted into France where she carries out her dangerous duties.
I like to guess ahead at how a story will unfold and was absolutely delighted that this one did not go the way I had expected it to. There is intrigue, danger, romance, relief and despair in this gripping novel. In France, I was not sure who Lenny could trust and that, at times, heightened the tension I felt for her safety.
What really caught my attention though, was that this novel is a work of fiction inspired by a true story. I had not previously heard about using knitting to encode messages and was enthralled that a simple craft could be used to transmit vital information. I read all the notes at the end of the book and have made my own list of research I want to do on this subject. It's always an added bonus for me to learn something new on top of reading a truly absorbing story.
I would highly recommend The Resistance Knitting Club to readers who enjoy WWII historical fiction with a strong female protagonist.
| Author Bio – Jenny O’Brien |
|---|
|
Jenny O’Brien writes complex thrillers and heartbreaking historical fiction, as well as intriguing romances. Silent Cry, initially self published, topped the Amazon kindle chart in both the UK and the USA. Most of her books have followed suit. Jenny has over 40 years experience as a qualified nurse. She turned to creative writing as a hobby when her children were born. Born in Ireland, she now lives in Guernsey with her husband and children. BOOK NEWS The Resistance Knitting Club comes out in February, 2026. A blend of Jenny’s two hobbies - knitting and reading. For more check out The Resistance Knitting Club Facebook Page. Join the conversation as well as share your crafting projects. |
| Social Media Links – | |
| Web site | https://www.jennyobrienauthor.com/ |
| @scribblerjb | |
| Goodreads | Jenny O'Brien |
| Facebook Author Page | Jenny O'Brien Writer |
| X | @ScribblerJB |
| Bluesky | @scribblerjb.bsky.social |




No comments:
Post a Comment