Written by Penny Byrne
| ||||||||
Today I'm delighted to welcome indie author Penny Byrne to my blog.
I met Penny in St. Helier last year and she very kindly agreed to answer a few questions for my Interview with the Author feature.
Penny writes mainly children's stories. some of which have already delighted my grandchildren, and I've got my eye on two of her Jersey history books, Inspiring Women of Jersey and Voices from the Occupation for myself.
Charlie & Spud and the Victorians is her most recent publication in the Charlie & Spud series.
Penny says: In this latest in our history series, Charlie has a school trip to St Helier and The Merchant’s House before going back in time to Victorian London, discovering what life was like in a big house and then going down into the sewers as a tosher to find ‘treasure’. So basically it’s all about poo! 🤣 Disgusting but great fun - and already proving very popular!
The blurb:
Charlie & Spud and the VictoriansCharlie loves learning all about the Victorians, but when he and his dog Spud are whisked back in time, they find themselves experiencing how hard it really was for some children.
This is an exciting, if rather smelly, adventure for Charlie and Spud set beneath Victorian London.
Purchase from:
Amazon UK Amazon US Amazon CA Amazon AU Amazon IN
Q1. What was the first story you published?
Seymour’s Seaside Picnic - it’s a rhyming tale about 12 bear characters who live at well-known Heritage Sites around the Island. I see two of them every day as I walk my dog on the beach opposite my house. I created it to raise money and awareness for a fabulous local children’s charity and ran a huge competition so the bears are all drawn by for 4-18 year olds; there’s over 80 children’s works in the book!
Q2. What do you like most about being an author?
There are distinct ‘sections’ to my job. Walking and ‘hiding’ as I come up with new ideas, plan them out and write the stories. The creation phase where I am talking to my team (there are usually three of us that work on each book) as well as local historians and anyone from the commissioning body to ensure we get it ‘right’. And finally, the promotion / education phase where I go out to schools, the library and a range of other places to do events, book readings and workshops - I love getting to talk to primary school children as they are always so enthusiastic.
Q3. Do you have other children’s stories planned or in progress?
Yes, always! I have a number of stories I have completely written but which haven’t been illustrated or ‘created’ yet. I have a whole notebook crammed with story ideas. And I already have 5 books ‘in the making’ for this or next year, assuming we can get funding for them.
Q4. What is your greatest achievement?
I have been told by a number of people that our Christmas bear book, ‘Corbi’s Christmas Lights’, is in their Christmas Eve box so it has become a part of their family tradition to read it every year!
Q5. Five things the readers don’t know about you…
- I listen to books more often than I actually sit down and read them. I have been an audio listener since I was tiny. My first cassette tape was one my mum recorded when she went away so I could listen to her reading my bedtime story every night. It was a collection of the Little Grey Rabbit stories. I just loved them.
- My family and I foster, which is both incredibly rewarding, tough and sometimes devastating.
- I have done the Around the Island (48 mile) Walk fully five times now and have been part of a relay team a number of times too. I really enjoy the camaraderie and seeing so much of our beautiful island.
- I used to love doing slightly mad things, such as abseiling, skydiving and bungy jumping (my jump in NZ was filmed by the film crew I was with at the time!).
- I have met three of my childhood heroes - David Attenborough, David Suchet (Hercule Poirot was one of his best known roles) and the Queen. How lucky am I?!
Q6. What advice would you give young people interested in writing / being authors?
- Do it lots! Write anything and everything you can, from letters, emails and messages to friends to your own short and long stories, poetry and fan fiction. Practise is vital.
- Read lots. And not just fiction or from one genre. Try everything.
- DO NOT be afraid to make mistakes. Everyone does; even grown ups. When you get to doing it professionally there will be various things you can do to try to ensure as few mistakes get into your work as possible (though obviously it still happens; we are all human!). But until then, mistakes are not just fine but are often the best way to learn and improve. You will learn more from your mistakes than you ever will from what you get right.
| Author Bio – Penny Byrne |
|---|
|
Penny Byrne is a children’s author inspired by the history and the beauty the wonderful island of Jersey CI. Locally she works with the Government of Jersey, charities, organisations and schools to create books that are fun to read, gorgeous to look at and in many cases that teach children (and adults) about Jersey. Penny offers talks, books readings and workshops to Primary Schools across the Island, including covering the topics of the Stone Age, the Occupation and the Corn Riots. |
| Social Media Links – | |
| Web site | Penny Byrne Author |
| Penny Byrne Author | |
| Facebook Author Page | Penny Byrne Author |



No comments:
Post a Comment