Wednesday, 5 August 2026

The Apple Orchard

20 books of summer 2026 challenge logo aiming to achieve 20 books between 1st June and 31st August

Written by Veronica Henry


⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    Orion 13th Apr 2017
Genre Contemporary Short Stories
Pages 84
ASIN B06Y17NZG8
#20BOS26 Reading Challenge Book #14
Having enjoyed Bittersweet by Veronica Henry, I added several of her books to my TBR pile including The Apple Orchard and that is where they have all stayed. The 20 Books of Summer reading challenge is the perfect opportunity to dig down into the pile and resurrect some of those titles.

Book cover for the novel The Apple Orchard by Veronica Henry

The blurb:

The Apple Orchard

In the charming town of Peasebrook, there's a place for everyone. War vet Joe has made new friends and a new home for himself here, overlooking a beautiful apple orchard. But when tragedy strikes and Joe is left out in the cold, it will bring them all together in entirely unexpected ways . . .

The Apple Orchard is a truly feel-good short story about friendship and kindness. It's the perfect introduction to Veronica Henry and includes an extract of her upcoming novel The Forever House.



short story    contemporary fiction    Fiction


My thoughts:

I love Ms Henry's writing style and was quickly immersed in this short story.

The main character, Joe, is flawed, and to begin with, I wasn't sure whether I'd like him. However, in a short time I was able to put aside the negatives and decided he was a good egg whose life experience was the reason for many of the flaws I was struggling with.

It is rather a sad story which I wasn't expecting from the blurb, and it made me feel quite emotional.

I was expecting a slightly longer story and was wondering where it was taking me, when it suddenly ended, leaving me feeling surprisingly unfulfilled.

That said, I would still recommend this story as it is thought provoking and beautifully written.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU     Amazon IN



Author Bio – Veronica Henry

Veronica Henry was a television script writer before turning her hand to fiction.

She has published sixteen novels which she describes as realistic escapism - her setting are gorgeous, but her characters have problems and dilemmas everyone can identify with.


Other stories I've read by Veronica Henry


No comments:

Post a Comment