Written by M. G. Atkinson⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
|
Twisty! is yet another #DecTheShelves challenge book. This one, however, was being offered free of charge at the time I downloaded it.
The blurb:
Ten short tales to light up the exclamation mark over our heads.
Darkly humorous throughout, the tales are a mixed lot, ranging from subtle horror to sci-fi, and all of them just a little Twisty.
Science Fiction
Horror
Short Stories
My thoughts:
The first story, 'The Ralph Effect', reminded me of Roald Dahl's Tales of the Unexpected. I was reading along quite happily, trying to visualise the future world that Atkinson had created, and thinking to myself, 'I know where this is going...' It was, however, only in the very last sentence that I realised it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Very clever and my interest for the other stories was piqued.The second story, 'The Best Coffee is Served in Hell', brought to mind the 'Hammer House of Horror' TV series... and that was it! I chewed through the rest of the short stories, trying to guess the unexpected endings, and particularly enjoyed 'Angel' and 'Gods of Men and Bombs'.
I liked the author's writing style, which wrong-footed me at every turn. The length of each of these stories made this book an easy read, and despite my lack of fondness for the sci-fi genre, I enjoyed each and every one.
I am inspired by these short, dark stories and think that this is a genre I might like to try my hand at, as one of my New Year's Goals.

No comments:
Post a Comment