Written by Marina JohnsonI loved it! 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟
|
Anyway, I found some that I really wanted to read at time of download, and should have read sooner, but which had somehow slipped through the net.
And what a treat it was to unearth A Confusion of Murders!
The blurb:
Louise’s life wasn’t perfect but it was, at least, normal...A brother obsessed with his looks, a dog that thinks it’s human and a happy though, dull routine.
But when her father starts behaving strangely and she makes a shocking discovery about herself, Louise’s orderly world is turned upside down. Add in the mystery of a missing woman and a dog-napped poodle and she wonders if her life could get any weirder.
And to top it all, when she’s least expecting it, Louise finds romance in the unlikeliest place....
It's not all plain sailing for Louise, though, and her efforts to look poised in front of Gareth Peters provides some of my favourite comedy moments in this story. I laughed out loud at the flashback to events leading up to Louise's first encounter with Gareth Peters, and her journey to the pub for their first date.
Louise's brother Nick is a model, and has a reputation for loving and leaving women. Having just met Louise's best friend, Linda, Louise is concerned that he will spoil her friendship by treating Linda the same way.
More of a concern, their father, Tom Russell, is exhibiting the early stages of dementia, and is, they believe, imagining all sorts.
A dog goes missing after a second woman is found dead. Louise has recently met this deceased woman. It all seems quite random, but the clues are there. Is Louise putting herself in danger as she starts piecing it all together?
On top of this, she has uncovered a family secret, and the only one who can help her, Tom, is probably not going to be able to help her.
A Confusion of Murders has something for everyone! Murder, intrigue, romance, dementia, humour, another murder, and some rather interesting characters.
Ralph, Louise's boss, is not very politically correct, but does look out for his staff. He shows concern for Louise when she is not at her best, and insists she takes time off to sort out her problem.
Another secondary character I loved is Norman Shuttleworth, nicknamed 'The Truth' by Louise and Linda. At first I thought he was just an irritating character, socially awkward, and best avoided, but as the story progresses he becomes quite endearing.
I thoroughly enjoyed this well-written, warm, funny, enthralling and entertaining story. For me, A Confusion of Murders is a 6 stars! read!
| Author Bio – Marina Johnson |
|---|
|
I’ve spent most of my working life sitting behind a desk but took early retirement several years ago. I’m married with grown up children and now have two young grandchildren who are an absolute joy. It’s quite lovely to spoil them rotten and hand them back to their parents afterwards! We divide our time between the UK and Spain where it’s very peaceful and quite perfect for writing. I also enjoy swimming and walking and of course, reading. |
| Social Media Links – | |
| Web site | tamarillaspress.wordpress.com/ |
| @marinajohnsonauthor | |
| Tamarillas Press | @tamarillaspress |
| Facebook Author Page | https://www.facebook.com/marina.johnson.5437 |
Thank you, Marina, for taking the time to join me today, and answering a few questions for us. We wish you well with your upcoming novel, and I've added Fat Girl Slim to my 2019 #DecTheShelves list.
Q1. What inspired you to write A Confusion of Murders?
My late father inspired the story. He suffered from Lewy Bodies dementia in the last two years of his life and the book is based on some real incidents that happened, although there were many more that didn’t make it into the book. It was a very sad time for all of the family but he never lost his sense of humour and I hope that’s come through in the book.
Q2. Who is your favourite character in A Confusion of Murders and why?
My favourite character is Ralph – he’s so un-pc and completely unaware that he is and such fun to write because he can say whatever he likes! He pops up again in So Talk To Me and may well feature in future books.
Q3. Is A Confusion of Murders part of a series?
It’s not planned as a series but that’s not to say that I won’t write a sequel in the future. So far I’ve written four books and they are all very different stories but are loosely connected as they’re all based in the same fictional town of Frogham. Some of the characters and events in one book also pop up or are referred to in the other books.
Q4. What was the first story you had published?
A Confusion of Murders was the first story I published. I’ve been writing for many years and unsuccessfully tried the traditional publisher route many years ago. I still have the rejected manuscripts lurking in a drawer somewhere!
Q5. Do you have another story planned or in progress?
I’m currently writing a sequel to Fat Girl Slim which will be my fifth book and should be released by the end of this year.
Q6. Who is your favourite author?
I read a wide range of authors and tend to select books by reading the blurb first and if that catches my attention I’ll read the first few pages. If I enjoy a book by an author I’ll usually go on to read more of their books. Some of my favourites are Stephen King, Kate Atkinson, C L Taylor, Luke Smitherd and Jo Nesbo.
Q7. Which writers have influenced you?
I’d love to write like Stephen King or Ruth Rendall but I’ve discovered that once I start to write the characters take over and the book almost writes itself and usually ends up being totally different to what I intended.
Q8. What do you like most about being an author?
I like choosing when I write and not having to conform to set working hours. If I don’t feel like writing, I don’t have to but equally, if the mood strikes I can write for hours.
Q9. Do you have a specific routine for writing?
First thing in the morning works well for me although sometimes if the words are flowing well I’ll write in the evening too.
Q10. Is there a special place or particular tool you use?
I have a favourite armchair in the snug and I always write on a laptop – I sat at a desk for so many years that if I have to sit at a desk it’ll feel too much like work! If I’m in Spain my favourite place to write is in the garden under an umbrella.
Q11. What advice do you have for other independently published authors?
To keep going – there’s nothing as good as hearing from someone that they’ve enjoyed reading what you’ve written.



No comments:
Post a Comment