Friday, 26 June 2020

Darkest Night

Banner for the #20BooksOfSummer20 reading challenge

Written by Jenny O'Brien


I loved it! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    HQ Digital (17 July 2020)
Genre Women's Psychological Thriller, Women's Fiction
Pages 384
ASIN B0876J8DFK
ISBN-100008390185
ISBN-13978-0008390181

Having read and thoroughly enjoyed Missing in Wales by the same author, I was delighted to receive an Advanced Readers' Copy of Jenny O'Brien's second book in the same series, Darkest Night.

I should say that I won my copy of Missing in Wales in a raffle, along with the opportunity to have my name used for one of the characters - a detail I'd completely forgotten until I read the acknowledgements section. Yes, I read all the 'about' bits before I start a story, and I'm probably not alone in that habit...

I read Darkest Night during the #20BooksOfSummer20 Reading Challenge hosted by Cathy @746books.com.


The blurb:

Darkest Night

A DEAD WOMAN. AN IMPOSSIBLE CRIME.

Christine De Bertrand wakes up to her worst nightmare: rather than the man she went to bed with, lying beside her is her housemate, Nikki – dead. With no memory of the night before, Christine can’t explain what happened, and the police are baffled.

For DC Gaby Darin, newly arrived from Swansea after her last case ended in tragedy, it’s a mystery she’s determined to solve. When another woman goes missing, Gaby faces a race against time to uncover the link between the two victims and find the man who vanished from Christine’s bedroom. But as Gaby gets close, the killer gets closer – and soon one of Gaby’s own team is in unimaginable danger…


Women's Psychological Thriller    Women's Fiction   


My thoughts:

Darkest Night, although number 2 in the DC Gaby Darin series, can easily be read as a standalone. There are a few references to characters and events in the previous book, none of which impact on the telling of this compelling thriller.

Gaby has transferred to St Asaph from Swansea, where she is tasked with heading up a murder enquiry - A woman woke up next to the dead body of her flatmate, with no memory of the night before.

While investigating this case, another one lands on her desk - the case of a missing woman. There are tenuous similarities. Could these cases be linked?

Then, a colleague inadvertently puts herself in harms way, and by the time anyone is aware the detective is missing, the clock is fast running down on finding her alive.

There are some lighter moments in this police procedural, with someone taking a romantic interest in Gaby, and a happy ending for another main character in this gripping story.

I very much enjoyed Darkest Night, and was hooked from the opening chapters.

The story is told from the points of view of several of the main characters, giving insight into their various thought processes. It flows nicely, and casts suspicion on several parties before revealing the true facts at the end. I thought I'd got it sussed. I had the killer in my sights early on, but was still taken aback by the revealed events of the night that began this story.

Darkest Night is an engrossing, fast-paced read that I think would lend itself very nicely to being turned into a feature-length film.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU





Author Bio – Jenny O'Brien
Picture of the author Jenny O'Brien

Born in Dublin, Jenny O'Brien moved to Wales and then Guernsey, where she tries to find time to write in between working as a nurse and ferrying around 3 teenagers.

In her spare time she can be found frowning at her wonky cakes and even wonkier breads. You'll be pleased to note she won't be entering Bake-Off. She's also an all-year-round sea swimmer.

Readers can find out more about Jenny and her books on her blog: (jennyobrienwriter.wordpress) and she can also be found on Twitter and Instagram as 'scribblerjb'. Facebook (Jenny O'Brien Guernsey Writer)


Other stories I've read by Jenny O'Brien






1 comment: