Written by Jenny O'Brien⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
|
I read Silent Cry for the #20BooksOfSummer20 Reading Challenge hosted by Cathy @746books.com.
It was my turn to choose the book for this months Book Club, and because I so enjoyed the first incarnation of Silent Cry, Missing in Wales, I put this forward for discussion in August.
It was my turn to choose the book for this months Book Club, and because I so enjoyed the first incarnation of Silent Cry, Missing in Wales, I put this forward for discussion in August.
The blurb:
Silent CryA MISSING BABY. A MOTHER’S NIGHTMARE.
When Izzy Grant’s newborn daughter Alys disappears, her world shatters around her. Despite an extensive search the police find no trace of the missing girl, but Izzy refuses to give up hope that her daughter will be found.
Then a note is pushed through her letterbox,
warning her off.
For Izzy it’s a ray of hope, another lead for the police to follow. For DC Gaby Darin it’s another piece of the puzzle that just won’t fit. But as a long-lost friend returns to Izzy’s life with a shocking secret, Gaby realises the truth of who took Izzy’s daughter from her might lie in the past – and far closer to home than anyone could have imagined…
Gripping and unputdownable, this emotional thriller will have you racing through until the very last page. Perfect for fans of Cara Hunter, LJ Ross and Erin Kinsley.
Previously published as Missing in Wales. This edition contains significant editorial revisions.
Women's Psychological Fiction
My thoughts:
Well, I really, really enjoyed Missing in Wales which was independently published, but by the time it was my turn to nominate a book for Book Club, it had been picked up by HQ Digital and republished as Silent Cry.The story remains the same, although there is a bit more backstory to DC Darin in this version. When reviewing Missing in Wales, I did think that her character was not as prominent as I would have expected in a series naming DC Darin as the lead character, but I was so enthralled with the story, that her backstory was less important than finding out what part Grace Madden played in Alys and Charlie's disappearance, and what really happened to them.
When I'm reading a thriller, I like to guess at where the story line is heading, and obviously, the whodunit. I do this while watching TV dramas too, and usually I guess right. So now, I read Silent Cry already knowing what would happen, and this time I was looking for something that I must have missed the first time. I even went back over bits where I thought I'd sniffed a tiny clue the second time around.
No, I thought this story was airtight up to the point the author reveals the 'whodunit' and we wait for DC Gaby Darin to catch up.
And the Book Club members... didn't enjoy to the extent I did, but as a first novel said it showed promise. And they all guessed the culprit! Can you?
| Author Bio – Jenny O'Brien |
|---|
|
Born in Dublin, Jenny O'Brien moved to Wales and then Guernsey, where she tries to find time to write in between working as a nurse and ferrying around 3 teenagers. In her spare time she can be found frowning at her wonky cakes and even wonkier breads. You'll be pleased to note she won't be entering Bake-Off. She's also an all-year-round sea swimmer. Readers can find out more about Jenny and her books on her blog: (jennyobrienwriter.wordpress) and she can also be found on Twitter and Instagram as 'scribblerjb'. Facebook (Jenny O'Brien Guernsey Writer) |
| Social Media Links – | |
| Web site | https://jennyobrienwriter.wordpress.com/ |
| https://www.instagram.com/scribblerjb/ | |
| Goodreads | Jenny O'Brien |
| Facebook Author Page | https://www.facebook.com/JennyOBrienWriter/ |
| X | https://twitter.com/scribblerjb |


No comments:
Post a Comment