Friday, 19 April 2024

Englishwoman at Christmas:

Written by Jenny O'Brien


I loved it! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Published by     Christmas Romance Publishing (31 Oct. 2017)
Genre Short Story, Romance
Pages 152
ASIN B075ZH5T1L
ISBN-10 1549970763
ISBN-13 978-1549970764



In November 2019 I downloaded a free copy of this short story along with Englishman in Blackpool because the blurbs appealed to me. This was long before I discovered Jenny O'Brien's Detective Gabby Darin series, which I love. And these short stories probably would have remained hidden on my TBR shelf for a while yet, had I not been looking for candidates for the 2022#BackListReader Challenge.

And it's still taken me until now to read this one!

The blurb:


From the best selling author of The Stepsister and the Detective Gaby Darin Welsh-set, crime series comes a delightful, heart-warming romance.

Holly Branch has it all. She's rich, famous and beautiful but, after a disastrous early marriage, she's also deeply distrustful of men, all men...

Lord Oliver Ivy has it all. He's rich, titled and handsome. He's also a world renowned plastic surgeon, or he was... Now he's an emotional wreck seeking solace in the bottom of a whiskey bottle. When fate decides to play a trick on these two strangers, by dumping them in Cornwall in the middle of a snow-storm, fate gets a shock... Note from author. When my twins asked to have a book dedicated to them, of course it was going to be jam-packed with twins...


Short Stories    Romance   


My thoughts:

I had been looking for something short and sweet amongst my TBR pile and remembered Ms O'Brien's Englishwoman series. I'd already enjoyed Englishman in Blackpool and although it is now April, a Christmassy short story was just the ticket.

And I was hooked immediately!

This story is about Holly Branch, a successful interior designer and Lord Oliver Ivy, a distinguished plastic surgeon. Holly and Oliver's paths cross by accident, at a time when Holly is discovering the truth about her parents and Oliver is spiralling downwards, having lost two patients after surgery some three months earlier.

The Christmas setting is just the backdrop to this romantic short story which takes several twists and turns before providing the reader with a very happy ending. I thought the characters felt very real and likeable from the start, and this drove me on to finish the story as quickly as I could.




Purchase from:

Amazon



Author Bio – Jenny O'Brien

Born in Dublin, Jenny O'Brien moved to Wales and then Guernsey, where she tries to find time to write in between working as a nurse and ferrying around 3 teenagers.

In her spare time she can be found frowning at her wonky cakes and even wonkier breads. You'll be pleased to note she won't be entering Bake-Off. She's also an all-year-round sea swimmer.

Readers can find out more about Jenny and her books on her blog:

(jennyobrienwriter.wordpress) and she can also be found on

Twitter and Instagram as 'scribblerjb'.

Facebook (Jenny O'Brien Guernsey Writer)

Books in series reading order, although each is stand-alone:-

    THRILLERS

   Silent Cry (Gaby Darin Book One)

   Darkest Night ( Gaby Darin Book Two)

   Fallen Angel (Gaby Darin Book Three)

   Lost Souls (Gaby Darin Book Four)

   Buried Lies (Gaby Darin Book Five)

   The Stepsister




Other stories I've read by Jenny O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment