Sunday, 29 September 2024

Whatever It Takes

Blog tour header for Whatever It Takes showing tour dates 23rd - 29th September 2024

Written by Joy Wood


Dark and
twisted!
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐


Published by    FeedARead.com (5 Aug. 2024)
Genre Crime/Psychological Thriller
Pages 375
ASIN B0DC6XVCBN
ISBN-101835972144
ISBN-13978-1835972144

Today I am taking part in the blog tour organised by Rachel of Rachel's Random Resources for Joy Wood's latest women's crime fiction novel Whatever it Takes.

I quickly opted in to this blog tour because I so enjoyed Getting Away With Murder a few years ago and just knew I'd be in for a treat. And I wasn't disappointed.

So I'll begin by thanking Rachel for the invitation to join the blog tour and author Joy Wood for a free digital copy of Whatever it Takes to review.
Full tour banner showing participating bloggers and tour dates 23rd - 29th September 2024

Book cover for the novel Whatever It Takes by Joy Wood

The blurb:

Whatever It Takes

THE WIFE: Lorna lives with her husband in her dream home, loves socialising and has a passion for the finer things in life.

THE HUSBAND: Dan owns a successful accountancy business, enjoys golf and exercise, and loves Lorna deeply.

Life is good. Until new neighbours move in to the house next door.

Perry, a property developer is charismatic and friendly, with a beautiful young wife, Ingrid. They become friends, sharing intimate dinners, trips away and ultimately a holiday together in Greece. But all is not as friendly as it seems.

While there, a fatal accident occurs that changes their lives.

They don’t all return. But those that do, are hiding a huge secret . . . and there’s someone who will do whatever it takes to make sure that it never comes to the surface.


Crime    Psychological Thriller    Women's Crime Fiction

Kindle Unlimited ad for novel Wahtever it takes by Joy Wood

My thoughts:

I skimmed the blurb for this novel and knew it was something I'd enjoy, but the main reason for choosing to be on this blog tour was the author Joy Wood. I'd previously read Getting Away With Murder and the dark, twisted nature of the plot had had me gripped for a couple of days and I was hoping for more of the same.

Whatever It Takes is another dark and twisted novel. It begins slowly with the normalcy of everyday life for Lorna and Dan Lloyd. Lorna works in a Doctors' surgery and Dan is an accountant. They appear happy enough. Dan is very staid and Lorna would enjoy more excitement in her life. When new neighbours, Perry and Ingrid Hunter, move in next door, Dan would rather not get too involved with them, but Lorna introduces herself and accepts an invitation for her and Dan to go round for drinks one night. More invitations follow and eventually Dan and Lorna go to Greece for an idyllic holiday, staying with Perry and Ingrid in the Hunter's villa. And now the trap is laid.

The main characters are realistically drawn and it was easy to like Dan with his strong family values. Lorna, I didn't like from the outset. She comes across as entitled, selfish and manipulative. When we meet the Hunters we learn that Perry has a plan - although it is not clear what this plan involves - with Ingrid told only what she needs to know to carry out her part. Regardless, she is happy to support her husband with his impending misdeed.

I was hooked from the first chapter as I could feel the sinister undertones in this well-written story and being unable to work out what Perry could be up to, drew me in further. When all was revealed, I was shocked as that was not something I had contemplated, and at that point the plot thickens and the story becomes even more enthralling.

Whatever It Takes was an absolute joy to read and I ripped through it in a couple of days. I would whole-heartedly recommend Whatever It Takes to anyone who likes a dark and twisty crime fiction story.



Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU    Amazon IN





Author Bio – Joy Wood
publicity shot of author Joy Wood

Joy Wood has worked as a nurse most of her adult life and turned to writing six years ago to ‘see if she could.’

Her earlier work was adult romance and intrigue, but more recently she has switched genres to romance with a crime element.

Joy lives in the small but charming seaside town of Cleethorpes in North East Lincolnshire and her writing ideas come from watching the tide turn daily, of course with the obligatory ice-cream – someone has to support the local economy!


Other stories I've read by Joy Wood






No comments:

Post a Comment