Written by Linda GreenI loved it! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
|
I was approached to read and review If I Had My Time Again by the publisher, and as I had been unable to take part in the blog tour, I was delighted to have an opportunity to read this book without a strict deadline.
So, I begin by thanking the publisher, Boldwood Books, and the author, Linda Green, for a free digital copy to review.
The blurb:
If I Had My Time AgainEmily, Carl and Jules have all ‘gone before their time’. After dying on the same day in Halifax, West Yorkshire, they each wake up in a room in a hotel on the outskirts of town. They’re instructed to meet in the basement headquarters of film production company ‘End Credits’, where no-nonsense producer Suzi tells them their lives have been secretly filmed and they must edit their own biopic before they are able to move on.
There are only three rules: they can’t prevent their own deaths or anyone else’s, they can't kill anyone but they can make a director's cut - one change which will alter everything that comes after.
With the chance to undo their regrets and explore life’s infinite possibilities, what will they choose?
I was really excited when I saw If I Had My Time Again being offered for a blog tour as I'd really enjoyed The Woman with all the Answers last year and knew immediately that the writing style which I had previously enjoyed and the unusual premise would intrigue and appeal to me. Unfortunately I did not have time to read and review for the tour, but was thrilled to be offered an opportunity to review it after the tour.
The story follows three individuals, Jules, Carl and Emily, who are unconnected, except that they have all died on the same day, as they enter a holding area before moving on to their final destination in the afterlife. We learn about their earthly lives as they are shown film footage of their time on earth. They are tasked with creating a 'director's cut', making one change to their 'film', but are not allowed to prevent their own or others' demise.
This concept alone had my mind doing cartwheels, wondering what small change they could make and how it might affect the final outcome and I was sorely tempted several times to read the last two chapters to satisfy my curiosity. I'm glad I didn't as that would have ruined the story for me. The ending was unexpected but absolutely perfect.
The author note at the beginning warns that the story deals with grief and loss - in part about suicide and still-birth - and I must say I found it played with my emotions, one minute sniggering at the dark humour, the next becoming choked up as I considered their lives and the impact their deaths were having on those left behind. Jules is my favourite character and the source of much of the humour in this warmly-written and cleverly devised story set in the afterlife.
I look forward to reading more from this author as I thoroughly enjoyed this story, and would whole-heartedly recommend it to readers with similar tastes.
| Author Bio – Linda Green |
|---|
|
Linda Green is the million copy Sunday Times bestselling author of eleven novels including The Last Thing She Told Me. |
| Social Media Links – | |
| @lindagreenbooks | |
| Facebook Author Page | @LindaGreenAuthor |
| X | @lindagreenisms |


No comments:
Post a Comment