Sunday, 26 July 2026

The First Christmas
(Christmas On The Close Book 1)

20 books of summer 2026 challenge logo aiming to achieve 20 books between 1st June and 31st August

Written by Stephanie Wood



Published by    Independently Published 7 Nov. 2015
Genre Christmas fiction, Short story
Pages 104
ASIN B017QJXXKG
ISBN-13979-8327474901
#20BOS26 Reading Challenge Book #11

I had already read The Christmas Miracle and Mistletoe Moments when, in December 2024, I downloaded a copy of The First Christmas...and then lost track of it in my huge TBR pile.

So, I begin by belatedly thanking Stephanie Wood, the author, for a free digital copy of the first book in her Christmas on the Close series to review.


The blurb:

The First Christmas (Christmas On The Close Book 1)

You are invited to spend CHRISTMAS ON THE CLOSE where each of the neighbours are celebrating in their own special way.

Newlyweds Imogen and Richard have just bought a house together and are hoping to make their first Christmas on The Close one to remember.

It’s the first time they haven’t had to share with flatmates so they are looking forward to having their own space and privacy, but will the neighbours leave them in peace, or continually interfere with their arrangements?

Imogen has her own ideas about what makes a perfect Christmas day and she is pulling out all the stops to make it a delightful dream-come-true. Can Richard solve the problems that threaten to derail the festive season and stop them from turning her dream into a disaster?

The first standalone episode of ‘Christmas on The Close’ takes a comical look at how festive preparations don’t always go to plan.

Suitable for soap-opera fans of Neighbours, Emmerdale and Coronation Street.


Short Story    Holidays & Celebrations    Fiction


My thoughts:

The Christmas on The Close series begins with the new occupants of number 1 on the close. Richard and Imogen are newly weds, on the brink of moving into their new home together. It's October and they are looking forward to their first Christmas in their own semi-detached home.

The blurb interested me and having read two later books in this series, I was curious about Imogen and Richard's story.

Sadly, I quickly decided that Imogen was a character who was more than "a glass half empty" and that I did not find her in the least likeable. That then impacted my view of Richard, who seemed to be constantly trying to lift her mood; I thought he came across as a wet lettuce.

I did manage to finish the book, and I do like the premise of this series, so would not be put off reading another story in this series.




Purchase from:

Amazon UK     Amazon US     Amazon CA     Amazon AU     Amazon IN



Author Bio – Stephanie Wood
publicity shot of author Stephanie Wood

I write contemporary fiction in the form of novels, novellas and short stories.

I have two series of linked standalone stories; one is a collection of Greek holiday reads called Aegean Sun and the other is Christmas on the Close which is set in a suburban cul-de-sac and reveals what is happening in each of the neighbours’ houses over the festive period.

I live in Lancashire where I have a large garden which takes a lot of maintenance, but I also enjoy reading lots of different genres and watching the soaps Emmerdale and Neighbours because I love character-based stories.


Other stories I've read by Stephanie Wood






No comments:

Post a Comment